Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,557   Online: 1142

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Third party lenses with Mamiya M645 and M645 Pro etc.

Hi,

I was curious about the functionality of the metering prism finders (AE and PD) with third party lenses without aperture coupling with the body. Will the metering prism still work?

I am interested in shooting with Pentacon 6 lenses (the Sonnar and the Flektogon) mounted on the Mamiya 645 body using a generic adapter.

I would appreciate the info since I don't have a Mamiya body, neither have I ever used one. I was thinking of getting the M645+AE prism finder, which I guess is the cheapest option.

Thanks.

Avi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just tried this with my Mamiya 645Pro with Prism finder N.

Prism finder N was made for Super but works fine with N. Mamiya says it's OK, too. I have no idea what the difference is between the ones made for Pro and N type.

I purposely mounted the lens incorrectly so that the pin is not caught between the prongs of the lens. No, it doesn't work as a metering prism. No matter where I set the aperture, the shutter speed reading stayed the same. (which makes sense)

Anything else you want me to try?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks a lot. Nopes...that is the main thing I wanted to confirm.

I am disappointed that the prism won't meter with third party lenses.....a minor blemish on what appears to be a excellent mf kit..

Avi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can always pickup a non-metering prism and a second hand light meter.... The metering prism on these things are pretty primitive. Since you shoot LF, I'm guessing you already have a light meter, no?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin