Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,271   Online: 1037

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of my best pics have come from my 635 with 35mm. $100 sounds fair, I paid £70 for mine with hood, UV filter, never-ready case and a case for the hood. I rarely use the hood, the spring holding it in place has gone a bit mushy so I'm always scared it'll fall off before I get around to fixing it, and it sits slightly squint anyway. I've never really had a problem without it. The camera case has never been used, it's sturdy enough to be slung over my shoulder as it is with a broad strap. Don't use a narrow one, they weigh a tonne... If you're really after a bag for it, though, the Manfrotto Bella V is absolutely made for them. If you play it right, the divider with the red flap (if you look at one you'll see what I mean) holds 6 film canisters, the middle one is perfectly sized for the camera itself, and I keep the 35mm kit and the hood in their respective cases in other end section. Well worth a look at.

Shooting wide open on 120 can give some slightly softer edges on the earlier Yashikor 3-element lenses like mine, but that's gone after a couple of stops, and with 35mm it's not a concern because the worst of it never sees the negative anyway. Yashinon 4-element lenses are, by all accounts, a tad sharper. If you use 35mm, I hope you like portrait, they're a pain to turn sideways...

As for the knobs... Wouldn't be unknown for a manufacturer to use something up and start putting in bits from other models. Just a thought, I could be talking rubbish.
    Last edited by OliMonster; 06-19-2012 at 08:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, it took quite awhile to get here, but I'm happy to report that my Yashica 635 with the unusual black control knobs finally arrived in today's mail! It was packaged very well, and is in absolutely perfect condition. It really is flawless; both lenses, screen, leatherette, chrome, everything looks just like new. The dials, focus, everything is so silky-smooth; not so much as a speck of dust, haze or cleaning marks in the lens. I have tested all shutter speeds and find them accurate. It really is a gorgeous camera.

Unfortunately, it could be another week or two before my film arrives from the USA. (I have to date been unsuccessful in finding affordable 120 here in Canada) I have a lovely new hand-stitched leather strap on order, and once my film arrives I'll be using this beauty to capture my Fogo Island (Newfoundland) landscapes.

As this is indeed my very first Yashica TLR, you can imagine my excitement when I opened the parcel to discover that it truly is as perfect as the seller had described! I want to thank everyone for your interest in my camera, and Paul from RFF, for offering to help with the mystery of the unusual control knobs. Seems some are liking the idea of it having the rare control wheels. The camera was not even yet in my hands, but I was getting offers right and left to buy it, including someone who offered far more than I paid, while another simply said "name your price"! But I think I will be keeping it for a long time!

Thanks again,
    Glen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glad to hear all is in order! The real test is with film though! =]

My first TLR was also a Yashica, very nice cameras indeed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Newt! Here are a few nicer photos of it, taken last night.

Glen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Except for the adjustment knobs, looks like my camera. Takes wonderful environmental portraits with that 80mm lens on 135 film. A bit on the soft side contrast wise. Still overall, a nice camera.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first TLR was a Yashica D purchased in 1969. You may think it heavy, but really it's a light weight compared to my Mamiya C-330 w/prism finder. I've since owned several Yashica TLR's until just recently. Your 635 is a D with provision to adapt 35mm film for a cool effect. Did yours come with the adapter set for 35mm film??
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Yashica TLR heavy? Not unless your comparison is a P&S digisnapper or a 110 or Minox or something.

Mine is lighter than most of my 35mm cameras by the time I add the zoom I'm normally using on the latter, and in an entirely different league from my Mamiya 645Pro with its AE prism and winder grip, while shooting a bigger negative. (Of course, with fixed lens, not interchangeable backs, rudimentary meter at best etc. TANSTAAFL.)

One of the things I like so much about the Yachica is that it's so easy to carry around and use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice camera, thanks for posting.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks everyone! Yes, it came with the 35mm kit.
    Glen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a 635 as well which I really like.

Don't forget NEVER try and use the timer with the X-M lever in the M position - the shutter will jam requiring dismantling.

I cut a little plastic piece out of a film can so that it clips in behind the lever and keeps it in the X position - its easy to knock otherwise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000116.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	53249

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin