Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,564   Online: 979

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentax 645 300mm ED(IF) lens, focus past infinity?

Looking at one, but it goes past the infinity mark. This is the newer manual focus, internal focus model. Test negatives look very sharp on first inspection. Just wondering if this is a problem, or normal. From some googling, it seems some other Pentax manual focus lenses do go past infinity.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen a lot of longer lenses that go past the stop, not just Pentax.
    It's normally just three set screws around the barrel to loosen and set the focusing ring. If it's got a rubber grip they may be under it.
    How's it work at near focus?

I remember being told this was normal to allow for expansion(of what?) at high temperatures.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post

I remember being told this was normal to allow for expansion(of what?) at high temperatures.
    Expansion of the lens barrel, which causes it to lengthen.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "ED" means it uses special "low-dispersion" optical glass that expands and contracts differently than ordinary optical glass. Manufacturers (many, not just Pentax) allow these type of lenses to focus beyond infinity to compensate for these different expansion/contraction rates.

Jim B.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin