Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,599   Online: 753

Shooter
    Multi Format

Medium format cameras only trigger flash every second exposure

Hi.

I have a Zenza Bronica ETR, and a Fujica GW690. Both have PC sync ports, and the Bronica also has a hotshoe if I use the grip.
    I do, however, have a problem with both of these, which I can't seem to figure out why occurs.

It appears as though either of the cameras will only trigger a flash every second exposure.
    If it is on a "right" exposure, and fires, I need to wind the shutter and advance the film, take another picture, and then wind the shutter again, and advance the film, before I can take another flash-triggering exposure...
    Any clue why this happens?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If it is happening with both cameras, I'd suspect something with either your sync cord or your flash unit, not the camera. Can you prove/disprove this idea with some other camera? Any camera with a PC socket would do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    If it is happening with both cameras, I'd suspect something with either your sync cord or your flash unit, not the camera. Can you prove/disprove this idea with some other camera? Any camera with a PC socket would do.
    Yeah, that makes no sense at all for both cameras to act this way.
    The flash can be tested with a paperclip, although another camera would be better. Another flash will solve the problem too, if you have one.

edit - You are waiting for the flash to recycle, right??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you giving the flash enough time to recycle between exposures?

Depending on the flash and its power source, and the freshness of the batteries assuming it's battery powered, you may need as much as 5 to 10 seconds between, but the flash's "ready" light will tell the tale.
    It depends on the unit, but some won't fire unless they are fully recycled, others will fire, but it won't be a full duration blast and you'll be underexposed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgive my incompetence. Seems to be an issue with the hot shoe adapter. When it's screwed down on a cold shoe it wont trigger due to it then expecting a flash signal to come through the bottom of it, thus cancelling out the pc sync input... SOLVED. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by digic View Post
    Forgive my incompetence. Seems to be an issue with the hot shoe adapter. When it's screwed down on a cold shoe it wont trigger due to it then expecting a flash signal to come through the bottom of it, thus cancelling out the pc sync input... SOLVED. Thanks!
    You're welcome, but none of us were right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for trying?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    and I didn't even try....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin