Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,004   Online: 728

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Resale value of Fujifilm GF670

Hi All,

I am struggling with the idea of buying a GF670 so that I can start shooting film again. I am very hesitant because of the totally uncertain nature of film in general. The film market still seems to be in free fall and the long term survival of film is in question. My main interest is in printing and even today, finding a good quality printing service in Shanghai is very difficult. Film seems like not such a good idea.

Still, my desires are stronger than my reasoning. My one thought is that if I buy a GF670 and it turns out I dont like the experience (due to processing and printing issues), I can just sell the camera. Normally, camera gear holds its value pretty well. I would think that a fine camera like the GF670 in normal times would hold value well. But with film dying off, what would a camera like this be worth 5 years from now? Assuming of course it is in very very good shape.

I know it is hard to predict such things, if not impossible. I just looking for anyway to go forward to buy this camera and shoot film. My non emotional side says to stay away from this. It is an awful lot of money to spend on such things. How long will Kodak even be around (I want to shoot Kodak color negative film).

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Currently in Tokyo the GF670 sells new for about 170,000 yen to 190,000 yen. And right now Fuji is offering 30,000 cash back so it would be that much cheaper.
    Used the GF670 goes for anywhere between 120,000 and 150,000 depending on the store.

But as for what it will be worth five years from now that is very hard to say. In the worst case scenario the world of film photography basically dies. In that case the camera is little more than a museum piece. But I find it very hard to believe that will happen. If the film market stays healthy I would think that in five years the camera would still have a value of at least 50% of the new purchase price.

But if you are really that worried or apprehensive about this investment, why don't you buy an older film camera that costs less. If you are predisposed to a medium format rangefinder I would point out that virtually every MF rangefinder ever produced by Fuji prior to the GF series can be had for less than $500. I recently got the GS645 (the only other folder besides the GF670) for about $300.

If you want a medium format SLR there are countless options, but the more affordable ones are Mamiya, Bronica and Pentax.

The GF670 is a fabulous camera but also one of the more expensive options.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by revdocjim View Post
    Currently in Tokyo the GF670 sells new for about 170,000 yen to 190,000 yen. And right now Fuji is offering 30,000 cash back so it would be that much cheaper.
    Used the GF670 goes for anywhere between 120,000 and 150,000 depending on the store.

But as for what it will be worth five years from now that is very hard to say. In the worst case scenario the world of film photography basically dies. In that case the camera is little more than a museum piece. But I find it very hard to believe that will happen. If the film market stays healthy I would think that in five years the camera would still have a value of at least 50% of the new purchase price.

But if you are really that worried or apprehensive about this investment, why don't you buy an older film camera that costs less. If you are predisposed to a medium format rangefinder I would point out that virtually every MF rangefinder ever produced by Fuji prior to the GF series can be had for less than $500. I recently got the GS645 (the only other folder besides the GF670) for about $300.

If you want a medium format SLR there are countless options, but the more affordable ones are Mamiya, Bronica and Pentax.

The GF670 is a fabulous camera but also one of the more expensive options.
    Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid that the GF670 is my only realistic option. I dont want to go with used gear and I need something really light for travel. The GF670 is really perfect for this. I just dont know how much of a future I can have with it. I could put this money towards my other gear which I know would last a very long time.

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I recently bought the GF670 so I guess that shows where I stand!
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sympathize. It's only when buying a camera that I wonder about the availability of film.

I have come to the considered opinion that black & white film will be around essentially forever (or a good 100 years.) The already rationalized market, the smallscale production of the film, the value ascribed by the art market, all make black and white a viable fine-art medium.

Colour film is a bigger question. At some point mega-companies like Fuji and Kodak may not be able to make the numbers work, and could smaller firms step in? Is there an inherent market like black and white? Tough to say.

I've decided that (though I do shoot colour) having black and white film to shoot in my cameras is enough. So I continue to add cameras to my collection, and for now I enjoy shooting colour and black + white.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I asked the same question. I answered it initially by buying a GA645 and having a go with it. I love it so much I may not get the GF670 as I am in the midst of replacing all my backpacking/trekking gear by acquiring ultralight and superlight trail gear. When I'm fully set up with that, I may return and buy the GF670 but until then I am very very pleased with the results of the GA645 and for a fraction of the price. Same weight, maybe an ounce or two lighter.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Way View Post
    I asked the same question. I answered it initially by buying a GA645 and having a go with it. I love it so much I may not get the GF670 as I am in the midst of replacing all my backpacking/trekking gear by acquiring ultralight and superlight trail gear. When I'm fully set up with that, I may return and buy the GF670 but until then I am very very pleased with the results of the GA645 and for a fraction of the price. Same weight, maybe an ounce or two lighter.
    I had the GA645 back when it first came out. Wonderful camera. But back then I was infatuated with larger negatives and went with the GSW690. Those were the days.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid that the GF670 is my only realistic option. I dont want to go with used gear and I need something really light for travel. The GF670 is really perfect for this. I just dont know how much of a future I can have with it. I could put this money towards my other gear which I know would last a very long time.

Thanks again.
    You need to think about not the resale value in five years, but the amount of use you would get out of the camera during your ownership of it. How much would you pay for cable TV? Internet access? Movies? DVDs? If you think about your budget for other non-essential entertainment options every month, and the value-to-you of that entertainment, would you derive more than 50% of the camera's cost in entertainment value to yourself during the time of ownership? If the answer is yes, then just buy the camera and quit whining about film MAYBE becoming obsolete. If I were worried about film becoming obsolete, I would never have bought a (second-hand) 14x17 field camera. Which is a MUCH bigger investment than a Fuji GF670. I'll sell it and quit using it when I can't afford to buy the film for it anymore, but I'm not worried about that long-term either.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    But with film dying off, what would a camera like this be worth 5 years from now?
    Ten years ago, people were predicting that film only had a couple of years left.

If you want it, buy it!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the last 3 years I've purchased 8 film cameras and won't even tell you how much I spent... I don't see film going away soon, nor processing/printing - but in 5-10 years, i might have to send more things (color) away to labs via mail. I already have to do that with slide film over 35mm. I've bought a lot of film and with my frequency of shooting, I have 4 - 5 years worth.

And I'm not sure if you've thought of the flip side. Say you put $1700 towards a digital camera. Any guess how much it would be worth in 5 years! I think the GF670 will be a much better investment. Stop agonizing and fill your immediate need.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin