Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,459   Online: 971

Shooter
    35mm RF

Do Yashica TLR's require light seals?

I am getting conflicting stories as to whether Yashica TLR's (such as the 635) require foam light seals. Some say yes, while others tell me that the L-shaped film door configuration would prevent any light leaks, thus eliminating the need for foam. As my "new" 635 has not yet arrived in the mail, I don't know what to believe! Can someone here please provide a definite answer one way or the other? Much appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Glen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I can remember my 635, which I bought new back in the Middle Ages, did not have foam rubber seals. When the camera arrives you can check. If it does have foam seals and these have deteriorated, an eBay seller called interslice sells replacement kits for $10-15. Highly recommended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, camperbc, I did some checking and found that the Yashica TLRs did have light seals! However, the word is that the seals were made of some string-like material, not foam, i.e. not as liable to deteriorate. I certainly never had light-leak problem witth mine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [B]Glad I read this post.I've got 4 YashicaMats that I've owned for at least 5 years,
    never had evidence of light leaks.And now I check them and two have worn seals
    at the curved edge.Good thing I always used them with their cases.The materiel is definitely
    dark twisted cord and easily accessed[/B. Thanks for posting this,Regards,Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tessar View Post
    As far as I can remember my 635, which I bought new back in the Middle Ages, did not have foam rubber seals. When the camera arrives you can check. If it does have foam seals and these have deteriorated, an eBay seller called interslice sells replacement kits for $10-15. Highly recommended.
    Just a FYI.

I noticed Interslice was no longer active on Ebay. Here is an explanation:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/1...own-drain.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin