Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,518   Online: 1031

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    if u are are all worried, a piece of black electrical tape used as a temporary seal will give you reassurance ...
    Yep, I know that. Doesn't help me see the faint Ilford numbers at dusk half way up a mountain making landscape photos though...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Interesting. I suspect that depends on the condition of the camera.
    Perhaps, but it depends more on the film's backing paper and the intensity of the light the red window was exposed to. For example, I've had more light leak through Fuji paper than Kodak. My camera has a metal slide that completely darkens the red window when not in use and I've experience "red smears" on color film intermittently on the same roll of film so I tend to believe that it is a simple exposure concern than anything more systematic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Red Streaks

I have never seen that on any of my Ercona 1 images. I wonder if that indicates that the film is not staying flat on your film rails, or perhaps there is not enough pressure exerted by the back on the film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I wonder if that indicates that the film is not staying flat on your film rails, or perhaps there is not enough pressure exerted by the back on the film?
    The back shouldn't exert any pressure on the film. It's springs hold it against a couple of rails which are just slightly higher than the film's thickness leaving a gap for the film to pass through.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That may be so, Steve. But the difference between Pioneer's experience and mine is that he/she may simply be a lot more skilled than am I when advancing frames in a red-window camera!

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Well, the camera finally arrived (after 9 weeks and one PayPal dispute. Long and boring story)...

Okay - next basic question:

How do I mount filters on the 105mm f3.5 Tessar? It doesn't seem to have a thread. Do I need push-on filters? Again, sorry if this is a basic question, but this is my first foray with this type of camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    How do I mount filters on the 105mm f3.5 Tessar? It doesn't seem to have a thread. Do I need push-on filters?
    Most likely, yes.

Two words more than Ian, I know, but he has been practising more than I have.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Most likely, yes.

Two words more than Ian, I know, but he has been practising more than I have.
    Thanks, Matt (I did get a bit bored with all of the detail in your response, but I think that I got the drift by reading between the line!)

Now, just have to find out where to get these filters. I feel a bit naked without a deep orange filter...

Shooter
    Multi Format

37 mm push on -type

I had an Omag 37 mm push-on type yellow filter with my Ercona. Very rare size - I converted mine a shade which I have more use!
    Have a look at the type: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37mm-push-...item35bf39645d

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an Ercona II with the CZJ Tessar lens. There is a deep groove in the front of the barrel that seems to fit a 37mm push-on. I have never been able to find an actual manual for the camera, so I don't know what the official recommendation is. I believe a 40.5 mm push-on might fit over the knurled outer portion of the barrel. I have also read that with at least of some of the Zeiss Ikonta flavors, that rough texture that looks like knurling actually has a thread cut through it that takes a really, really rare sunshade with a female thread. But of course, that's the wrong sex to accept 99.99% of the normally available filters. I also get the impression that 37 mm push-on stuff is rare and expensive because it fits the Bessa II which falls into collector's item pricing.

I have accumulated a few 37mm push-ons, but I find they are pretty un-handy fitting into that groove, and not very solidly anchored, in my opinion. I also have a rig to put Series 6 filters in a push-on adapter, using a sunshade as a retainer. It works, but I had to chuck the adapter in a lathe and thin down the clamping tabs a bit. Mayhaps one of these days I'll splurge on a 40.5/41 mm push-on item and see how it fits. Even the Series type filters and fittings go back so far they are requiring a bit of patience to find.

Someone a while back pointed me to an instruction booklet for a Zeiss Ikonta 523/2 at the David Reichert site that is very close to the Ercona, but it talks about 40.5 mm screw-in and 42 mm push-on and that doesn't quite jibe with my Ercona. It would be great if someone among the 59K APUGgers had some official word on these cameras.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin