Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,257   Online: 991

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Many thanks for both of these posts!

I had a good look at the lens yesterday and saw the groove. Thanks for confirming that it's 37mm. Guess I'm off to search for some 37mm push on filter.

Again, thanks for the info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    ... Thanks for confirming that it's 37mm. Guess I'm off to search for some 37mm push on filter.
    I would suggest getting just one and seeing how you like fitting it on and off before jumping in too deeply. Some of the push-ons have little curved fingers that are oriented around the circumference and the little S-bend in the finger can hang up trying to push it into that relatively narrow groove. I tweaked the fingers a bit, and the stuff is usable but fiddly. There are several slightly different mechanical designs, some probably better than others, but my limited experience is finding any filters at all is enough of a challenge. I'm still wondering if something that slips over the outside of the barrel might be easier to work with -- and maybe more secure. That's one reason I was hoping more than two of us might have some information!

A secure fit seems desirable; my biggest fear is paying $80 for an Authenticke Voigtländer lens hood and watching it sail off into a 120 foot waterfall! (Actually hell will freeze over before I spend that on a lens hood!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Series filter adapter is the way to go. Sure, the tabs can be fiddly to adjust but once adjusted they tend to stay that way unless tweeked really hard (or dropped and stepped on). The tabs were desinged to be adjustable plus/minus half-a-millimeter. When adjusting just make sure they are alighed well. If it looks "snaggle-toothed" it will be a source of irritation forever. There is still a guy on ebay that has a good supply. But patience is the name of the game. I use Series adapters/filters/hoods on three or four of my older cameras and couldn't be more satisfied.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The original 37mm Zeiss or Voigtländer yellow, green, uv, etc filters are easy to be found on ebay.de for reasonable price.
    Those filters fit Zeiss and Voigtländer 37mm pretty tight and I usually mount a push-on hood on them as well - its safe.
    As for a hood, You can go with the Chinese 37mm metal vented Lens Hood that goes for under 10 dollars. They are easy to modify if needed.
    DWThomas is spot on that the original hoods for those cameras might command high prices, such is life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It seems like this area of design needed some standards policing back in the day (maybe even still today) and none was/is forthcoming, or if it was there, someone did a right poor job of it. I understand that a Leitz 50/3.5 Elmar and an Olympus OM 180/2 need materially different filter diameters , and that's fine. But when a lot of lenses that are about the same size use a bewildering variety of 39mm, 40mm, 40.5mm, 41mm, push-on vs. screw-on, etc., that is annoying. If only someone could have herded the manufactures into a few agreed standard sizes available every few mm! Such as, if your lens was going to be small enough to take a 39, 40, or 40.5 filter, make it take a screw-on 41; this would not have made the difference between a camera being pocketable vs. not. I suppose B+W, Tiffen, Hoya, et al. prefer the current confusio filterum situation.
    --Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... that was the notion with the series filters... or at least thats what I thought. I have a set of series V filters that I use, via adapters, on several different cameras. Likewise with a set of series VI filters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin