Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,272   Online: 1150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Bronica, which one ?

Which model of Bronica would you say is the best ? which one would you buy and why ? Thanks in advance for any feedback as usual.

John.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Depends on your format preference. Bang for the buck? Probably the ETRS(i) in 645. The SQ series(6x6) can get pricey, especially if you're not buying a kit(body+WLF+120 back+80/2.8). Things like 120 backs and WLFs for the SQ series can be expensive. The GS-1 is a very light, portable 6x7 camera. They're a bit rare and usually a bit spendy for backs, lenses, finders--if you can find 'em. Lenses are very good for all the modern Bronicas. Nostalgia aside, I'd not bother with the ancient, mechanical S series or EC-TL--too many parts, service, and age-related issues.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I had an S2a for a long time with all the interesting accessories and lenses from 40mm to 500mm. You can put together an extensive system fairly inexpensively, if that's of interest.

Particular attractions of the S2a:

Nice and mostly affordable selection of Nikkor, Zenzanon, Komura and other lenses.

Very easy to adapt large format and historic lenses thanks to separate focusing helical or bellows, shutter, and lens and secondary screw-mount option in addition to Bronica bayonet.

Availability of a tilt-shift bellows for macro and tabletop work.

Switchable 12/24 backs.

I sold it after I built a Linhof 6x9 system, and decided that I didn't need two whole medium format systems, though one was an SLR and the other a rangefinder/technical camera.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 06-19-2012 at 03:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would agree that the S2a is a great one. You really can get a lot of options for a little money!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As I have said before, the GS1 is the very best Bronice ever made far and away. Sharpest lenses; sturdiest body; and best backs. It is, in my humble, but nevertheless correct opinion, the very best.
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I'd sell all my other cameras before selling my GS-1 system. But I also like my RF645 for just carrying around.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I doubt you will go wrong with any of the modern Bronicas (ETRSi, SQ-A, GS-1, or the RF-645 provided you like portrait orientation). It should probably depend on the aspect ratio and negative size you prefer. I chose my ETRSi, which I am very happy with, for the following reasons:

1. I enjoy hiking and it is remarkably compact for an MF system. With the waist-level finder and 40mm lens it takes up very little room in my pack.
    2. Almost all the lenses from 40mm to 200mm take the same 62mm screw-in filters. Since I mostly shoot B&W landscapes, and use a variety of colour filters for contrast control, it's a real pleasure to only need one of each colour! I considered the SQ-A but the 40mm takes a great big 95mm filter and the 50mm PS takes a 77mm filter while the rest of the lenses take 67mm filters. The GS-1 wide-angle 50mm lens also takes 95mm filters.
    3. It's the least expensive of the modern Bronicas, and lenses etc seem to be widely available, and there's also a wide selection of focal lengths (compared especially to the GS-1). I believe the ETRSi's PE lenses are as good as the GS-1's PG lenses.
    4. I can live with the negative size compromise (6x4.5 vs 6x7 for the GS-1) as I don't print huge. I have almost convinced myself of this.

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 06-19-2012 at 04:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    none!
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    RF645!! Most portable, easy to use MF camera ever!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The SQ series is dirt cheap at KEH.com, and I like squares, and vertical rectangles, so I appreciate not having to rotate the camera. Just crop!
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin