Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,752   Online: 912

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never found a lack of mirror lock-up to be a problem.

The problem with the shutter is that the grease gets old and sticky - and it does in most cameras. It is also very temperature dependent, being very thick in cold weather.

Rolf Dieter Baier will CLA the camera, re-grease it with synthetic grease (much more temperature stable) and can also fit a mirror lock up for an extra Euros 98.

Pentacon can also fit a MLU.

What part of the world are you in? If you are in Europe you have the Choice of Baier, Pracktika/Pentacon Service in Dresden or Tom Page in the UK, so buying a used camera on eBeeGeeBay and sending to them is an option to consider. That way you know just when and where it was CLA'ed and have some warranty...

Do have a look at TRA's site, especially the section "The Faulty Part".

http://www.pentaconsix.com/fault.htm
    Steve

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    I have never found a lack of mirror lock-up to be a problem.
    Despite all my efforts I was never able to get a really sharp picture with the P6 and the 80 and 120 Biometar. That was with reinforced mounting on a tripod, careful focusing, stopping down and so on.
    On the contrary with my EOS50 and the 50/1,8 I just had to point it somewhere, fire the shutter and I had a picture with more details despite the smaller format.
    Even with mirror lock up you will find that the shutter curtains move quite a bit of mass which results in a turn around the vertical axis which simply cannot be absorbed by the mini triopd mount.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    > Despite all my efforts I was never able to get a really sharp picture with the P6 and the 80 and 120 Biometar.

It is much easier to get a sharp image withot a tripod. I use from time to time my bicycle saddle as tripod vehice which works fine, even with the 180 mm Sonnar an 1/4 second. I always get sharp images form my P6. I use it nearly 10 years without any problems. It is important to get a decent camera and not a probematic obe. Problematic cases are accumulated on ebay.

Vibrations are not damped with the help of a tripos, that is the problem.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by piu58 View Post
    Vibrations are not damped with the help of a tripos, that is the problem.
    Exactly. And the P6 has lots of them.
    If you want to take pictures from a tripod this is simply the wrong camera.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget that with the 180 mm Sonnar and most of the other longer lenses (I have the Pentacon 300/4 as well) the tripod mounting is on the lens, not the camera.

Even so - I have never noticed a problem with vibration on a tripod in all the years I have had the camera. Maybe your camera was faulty?

Some 120 roll film arrived in the post yesterday and the adapter I needed for the P 300/4 has arrived - so I'm keen to go and shoot with mine later today. If I get chance I'll take some test shots at slow shutter speeds with the camera on my tripod and report back. At the moment, though, the weather is diabolical
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    Despite all my efforts I was never able to get a really sharp picture with the P6 and the 80 and 120 Biometar. That was with reinforced mounting on a tripod, careful focusing, stopping down and so on.
    On the contrary with my EOS50 and the 50/1,8 I just had to point it somewhere, fire the shutter and I had a picture with more details despite the smaller format.
    Even with mirror lock up you will find that the shutter curtains move quite a bit of mass which results in a turn around the vertical axis which simply cannot be absorbed by the mini triopd mount.
    That last part says it all.

It's not a problem confined to the P6 rather it's typical for most MF SLRs. At slower speeds it's important to use the mirror lock when using the camera on a tripod it makes a very significant difference to sharpnes. Surprisingly the loss of sharpness is worst at speeds around 1/4 to 1/60.

When you work handheld your body dampens the miror and shutter vibrations but not on a tripod.

Going back to the 180mm Sonnar it is of course the more modern version of the pre WWII Olympic Sonnar, it will fit many cameras as the mount unscrews. It was sold with a variety of mounts and there's adaptors to allow the P6 mount to fit Mamiya 645's.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love this system. I bought the two that I own from Gejza Dunay, a reputed seller and repairman.

I have nothing longer than the 180mm because it won't be useful for me, and I am parting with the second system just to raise funds for a CLA on my Linhof at München. Personally, I favor the 50 and the 120 over the other lenses, but that's just a matter of taste and needs I guess ;-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My first medium format. Nice lenses, especially the 50mm Flektagon, flaky film advance.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    I own both a Pentacon Six and a Kiev 6C (predecessor to the Kiev 60). I have managed to get decently sharp images hand held with both. I have even hand held the Kiev with the 180 mm lens (shutter at 1/500). The Pentacon feels more solidly built than the Kiev, but the film counter on the Pentacon stops counting at #6. My Kiev has a frame overlap problem with films like Tri-X (it works OK with Foma) which I have overcome by setting it for 220 film.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would the 180mm be a mess with a Manfrotto 055 tripod?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin