Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,756   Online: 930

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You want reactions to your camera, try trotting out an ultra-large format camera. I've shot on the street before with my 14x17. THAT really gets attention. Mostly of the positive variety, rarely the negative, and there's always someone asking about how much it is worth that sets my heebie-jeebies going.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get a lot of attention, almost all of it positive, when shooting with my Yashicamat. People do ask about two lenses. The oddest was "what's up with that camera?" "Um, what do you mean?" "Why does it have two lenses?" "One's a viewing lens, one a taking lens. The top one sends the image to the ground glass you look down at to compose the image, the bottom one sends the image to the film." Truth is always better than a flippant lie, IMHO. "Oh ok" was the only response.

One friend asked, "it doesn't have batteries or any electronics for this?" commenting on the bright ground glass image. "Nope. Has a battery for the meter but I rely on a separate handheld meter most of the time." That lead to a discussion of what a light meter was and how modern cameras usually have them built in etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a shot I took a few years back of Tom Paiva at Bodie, California with his huge Graflex! He says it elicits many a comment when he uses it!

v
    Bridgeport, Bodie ContaxG2 21-28-45 lenses Acros Xtol 1-1 23C 10min 08-2006 31 by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most times with a larger camera I carry it with a hand over the top of it to disguise its size or shift it to the side of my body, and for TLR's only open up the viewfinder hood when I am about to shoot.

Though on two occasions this past week I have heard people exclaim about the cameras I was carrying. First a fruit stand owner and his older friend/father requested their pictures to be taken with my Seagull TLR, and yesterday while walking around with the big ol texas leica (fuji 690ii) two men walked by, and one grabbed the other's arm and pointed to my camera saying "look at the size of that!"

Shooter
    35mm
    When street shooting, I've noticed three degrees of attention that seem to be related to the camera: when I'm using a TLR, I get comments, when using a 35mm SLR I get more looks/stares, and with a rangefinder no seems to notice or care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They're either staring at my crotch or my camera. I hope for my sake it's the latter. Rarely get interacted with though, thankfully.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by xxloverxx View Post
    They're either staring at my crotch or my camera. I hope for my sake it's the latter. Rarely get interacted with though, thankfully.
    I would be flattered if anyone would think that looking at my crotch was interesting, however I get many people interested in looking at my Mamiya C 330F cameras while out shooting.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Those great Rolleis will be here long after their digital counterparts (and us) are sent to the hopper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I suspect the flurry of motion is part of what draws attention. I find a lot of modern digi-SLR users don't bother with lens caps, so just raise the camera to their eye, shoot (auto-everything, of course), and lower it again. By contrast, with, say my Bronica S2, I have to open the hood, unscrew (not pinch to remove) a massive metal lens-cap (which goes 'Klank' if I fumble it), wind on (or un-set the shutter release lock if already wound), set the aperture, turn the S2's side briefly toward me to set a shutter speed, brace myself against a tree, compose and focus, shoot (finally), fold the hood, and replace the lens cap. (And that's the best case -- camera already out of the bag; Sunny 16 instead of getting a meter out; no tripod mounting; no attaching filters; no checking DOF.) Forget changing films; any time bits completely come off the camera, like the S2's film back inserts or the entire trousers on many old German rangefinders, it is surprising even to people who remember film but used only mainstream SLRs with swing doors. "Is that thing so old it's falling apart?"
    --Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Trousers lol what a perfect description hahah. I shall use it next time when I slip off the half cases.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin