Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,505   Posts: 1,597,934   Online: 1250

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You guys must have friendly faces because nobody asks me about my Rolleicord or any other film camera. Once somebody asked what film I was using in my Leica M9 though.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format

It can't possibly take a good picture...

I suppose people are convinced that only a digital camera can take a good picture, and why would you want to use anything but. Few people say to me, you have a good eye and take a good photo, rather they say that 'you have an expensive camera that takes good pictures'. I would say to those that ask about the camera, well, it is obsolete by todays cameras but it is 50 years old, and that is about 3 years in digital years. In other words, that little digital will not be taking pictures in three years, but as long as there is film, those cameras will be getting it done.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh yeah, I too get the guy who says he used to have one, and now regrets selling it. Rollei TLRs are like Unicorns around here. I don't mind, I'd rather have people watching and maybe get interested enough to buy one, than ever let anything d*g*t*l through my hands.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

My Rolleiflex does get the occasional comment or question, but my 1895 Rochester Optical Company whole-plate camera really gets 'em going. The usual question is, "you can still get film for that?" for either camera.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    My Rolleiflex does get the occasional comment or question, but my 1895 Rochester Optical Company whole-plate camera really gets 'em going. The usual question is, "you can still get film for that?" for either camera.

Peter Gomena
    NICE! I'll bet!

Sometimes I'm in a snarky mood and when people ask me if I can still get film for my Rolleiflex I'll say: "No, haven't been able to for years. But I just like using this camera too much to stop."
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Seems everytime I go out in public, or especially on vacation I get these kind of looks, stares, and questions about my gear. Funniest was when a cop pulled me over and was looking thru my back windows and saw my Autocord and Holga sitting back in the seat. His question? "Are those really cameras?"

More generally though, anything big and noisy seems to attract a lot of attention in this age of camera's the size of a credit card with almost silent operation. Bronica, Nikon's, anything with an audible "click" gets people staring...especially when you gotta turn something to wind the film, which it seems nobody under 25 seems to even know what film is anymore.

But, best is using one of my old folding pack Polaroids. Seems nobody anymore remembers that a Polaroid ever came in anything but a spit-it-out the front format, let alone having to pull it, time it, and peel it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I remember when we lived on Maui, we took a trip to Mookai and I had my 1945 Rollei TLR with me for taking pics, loaded with Neopan 400. All was fine until the trip back, when one of the "inspectors" wanted me to open the camera, so she could look inside!

I told her there was film in it, and opening the back would ruin it. It took one of the guys there, who was more friendly (and agreed with me), to just let it go. The whole thing only lasted about 2 minutes, but seemed like forever.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have had a few "I used to have one of those" comments about my Rolleicord.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds familiar. Shortly after 9/11 I flew with my Pentax LX, loaded with film. At the carry on inspection I was told to turn the camera on. When I told them that it was a film camera and didn't "turn on" they did relent; perhaps they felt the camera wasn't big enough to hold much. On other occasions I was refused hand inspection for film, told rudely that the x-rays wouldn't hurt the film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Generally, X-rays DON'T hurt your film unless it is fast film (over 800 speed) or getting multiple doses in a relatively short period of time (say 6 or 8 scans in 24 hours kind of thing). Your film gets more radiation exposure while in flight than it does going through the carry-on scanner.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin