Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,861   Online: 1187

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    if they demand to see the digital image, open the waist level viewer and start pointing at things on the GG with one of your 'digits'.
    I had a twenty-something guy approach me to ask about the Rolleiflex. I showed him the viewfinder with Maxwell screen. His jaw dropped, and then all he could say was, 'What an amazing LCD!!'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    That's why I said carry-on. Yes, checked baggage scanners will royally screw up your film. I know this from personal experience. I had checked my 4x5 film holders in my suitcase to save carry-on weight and bulk. Weeeeelllll..... I forgot I had several sheets of 4x5 color negative film still loaded. I got to my destination, shot it, and when it was processed, well... the rest is history as they say.
    I know you did, I just wanted to point out the distinction to those who might not be aware of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    I had a twenty-something guy approach me to ask about the Rolleiflex. I showed him the viewfinder with Maxwell screen. His jaw dropped, and then all he could say was, 'What an amazing LCD!!'
    I had a late 20-something friend ask incredulously of my Yaschicamat, "no batteries? That's not electronic at all?" I explained how it worked.

I agree with not answering an intelligent but merely uninformed question with a smart assed reply. That's making ourselves our own worst enemies. Or perhaps that isn't "smart assed" to most people. My family always took a very dim view of sarcasm and I tend to as well. Just me I suppose. (I'm not above a witty reply, but when I do that I'm usually being intentionally rude or at least trying to get rid of someone annoying, OR engaging in back and forth with a willing participant for fun, not answering sincere questions from strangers.)

That is, I agree IF it's not followed up with a laugh and a serious reply. That's a pretty friendly way to start a conversation if so inclined.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anything bigger that a 35mm camera gets noticed.

The THWAK of a Hasselblad and the sounds of the focal plane shutter on a Graflex Model D or Pacemaker Speed Graphic will turn the heads of the rest.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't own a Rolleiflex, however I do have two Mamiya TLRs that I love to make pictures with, and I don't give two monkeys f**ks what "the great unwashed" think about them.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Oddly last time ii flew I had (surprisingly) few issues with hand inspection. I had about 20 rolls in a ziploc, which maybe helped. The TSA guys on both sides gave me the "xray- won't hurt it" spiel, but I just told em I had a lot of film of mixed types and would rather be safe. May have helped it was all 120, perhaps the uneducated thought it may be something "special".

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin