Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,848   Posts: 1,582,812   Online: 861

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Using Rolleiflex, an oddity?

In the days before digital took hold, I'd be out in the street photographing with my Rollei, and no-one gave me a second glance. But what a difference a decade makes!....Now when I set forth with my Rolleiflex, I not only get odd glances all the time, but complete strangers come up to me curious about the "strange box camera" I'm using.
    Sometimes I get stopped by former film photographers, regretting selling their old gear, but one person left me a bit speechless when he asked "why has it got two lenses"?.......er...."One for film, one for digital" I replied.......my inquisitor went away seemingly very impressed.

Do others get this level of attention when using film cameras?.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, not really.

... although once a guy who knew I shot with old gear gave me a nice Nikon FE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TLRs often gain attention. I have been approached using my YashicaMat and the Mamiya C. The Mamiya is quite impressive on a Tripod with a long lens and plenty of bellows extension. I find people are often fascinated by the left-to-right image reversal and the focus plane in the finder. So am I, I suppose!

Graham
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Face it, Rolleiman, you're a dinosaur. What would you do if you saw Fred and Barney footpadding their car down the street?

People, especially other film photographers, get real curious about my Zeiss folding camera with the bellows. They think it's cute. But like grahamp, I find that they do get pretty confused by the Mamiya C.

Yabba-dabba-doooooooooo!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always get strange looks when using old Brownies and Instamatics.
    Yesterday, someone asked me "how many megapixels is that new camera there?"
    I turned it around. and they walked away looking at me in a funny way
    Kodachrome, Plus X, 669, 600, Ektachrome, BW400CN, FP3000B.
    Every time I find a film I like, they discontinue it!

Long live film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Rollei myself. Maybe I'm a oddball, but I rather be an oddball than have a digital camera.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a Rolleiflex nut myself having a Tele-, a -wide and about 2-3 each of the normal 2.8 and 3.5 versions, plus a couple of SL66 too. Most common comments I get are "very cool camera!" and "wow, that's an old one, gorgeous!"
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not a medium format camera, but my Voigtlander Vitessa L gets a lot of attention. I was using it at the Atlanta Zoo and two women in their 30s asked about it. They were shooting P&S digital. At the restaurant we went to that same day I shot a casual portrait of my wife, and the folks at the next table pronounced it "awesome," as did the waitress. All people of exquisite taste and discernment, of course!

Now for other comments. Using my Pentax 645n on a tripod with cable release someone asked how many megapixels it had and was it a Nikon. I told them it was a Pentax, and depending on the film and scan I did it was perhaps 30 megapixels. He muttered something that sounded like "Smarta**" and wandered away. Some people are beyond redemption, I guess.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have used my Yashica Mat at classic car shows and it always draws interest even when their are vintage Porsches and BMW's nearby.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got asked if my TLR was a 3-D camera once and why I was holding it sideways (most 3-D camera lens' are side by side, not one-on-top). I also get a lot of "my dad/grandmother/sister-in-art school used to use one of those".
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin