Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,353   Online: 936

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Voigtländer "E-messer", slow shutter speeds way too slow

perhaps my favourite camera is also my oldest one, a voigtländer E-messer from the 1930ies. It is a 6x9 camera with a compur rapid shutter. Now, the slow shutter speeds are way too slow. 1/10 is more like a full second, and 1 second is like 10. The faster ones appear to be allright. Some movement within the shutter is simply not fast enough. I wonder, is there anything I can do about it? It would be great to use this camera over the weekend.

Thanks in ahead all of you, and happy midsummer, which is an important holiday in my country.

/Erk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like it needs a good CLA. I did the compur-rapid on my Ikonta. It's probably the most accurate shutter I own right now.
    Last edited by kerne; 06-21-2012 at 06:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Cleaning, Lubrication and Adjustment - that sounds right to me. I am just afraid that there are springs and stuff that will fly apart if I try to open it. Also, what do I use for lubrication?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you've never CLA'd a Compur shutter before I suggest you either practice on a less important one or let someone with a bit of experience do it. It does require complete disassembly of the shutter and uses a few micro tools you may not have if you don't regularly work on cameras.

If you do decide to work on it yourself, make sure to take plenty of photos so you have a record of where every screw and spring go and in what orientation.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It was fixed by a repairman a couple of years ago, and thereafter not heavily used. Should not be any significant amount of dirt in the shutter. Would it be possible to just apply some oil without opening it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it was properly repaired and cleaned recently then it may just need some exercise. Mechanical shutters like to be used regularly.

The last thing you'd want to do is put any kind of lubricant on the shutter blades. The cleaner and dryer they are, the better. The only parts that sometimes need a minuscule bit of lubrication are a couple of the escapement gears.

Trying repeatedly firing the shutter and see if it improves any. If not, or if you can see obvious oil or dirt on the shutter blades, a full disassembly and cleaning is recommended.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks kerne. This shows that I should not try to open it. Among other things I lack the tools.

The shutter is already a little bit better. Thanks for the tip!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will echo the technique of repeatedly firing the shutter. I have had really sticky shutters work just fine after 30 - 40 firings. Also, on a camera was was not worth spend money on a CLA on, I have swamped the shutter with naptha and fired it a few times before the naptha evaporated. Did that on my Bessamatic last year and it is still working fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I exposed half a roll yesterday and will do the rest today, so far safely on speeds 100 and 200. Will keep firing that shutter!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin