Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,797   Online: 1087

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Light 645 camera with f/2.8 lens

Aware of the Bronica 645 RF, seems nice, nothing faster than f/4.

I wouldn't mind a nice f/2.8 folder that can be focused accurately.

Otherwise, looking at the Mamiya M645, the 150mm f/2.8 would add 2-3.5 stops more light for portraits (RB67 180mm Sekor C is my main), not looking to replace my RB67 setup that will remain as my main plan-to-shoot camera, just to have more lightweight + lower light MF to carry around.

I really like that FOV. Plus also the 80mm f/1.9 is enticing.

Are there any other options I should be looking at? Or is the M645 series basically it?

Also pc-sync (or at least hotshoe) would be nice.

M645 with standard lens is half the weight of RB67 setup with standard lens, so that is enticing somewhat.
    Last edited by Athiril; 06-23-2012 at 03:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know if the Pentax 645 qualifies as "light" but it isn't any heavier than the Mamiya. With the Pentax system the 45mm, 55mm and 75mm lenses are all f/2.8
    If looking at the Pentax I would strongly recommend the 645N or 645Nii over the original. Personally my 645N is my favorite medium format SLR. It may not be as modular as the Mamiya but I have both and I tend to reach for the Pentax more often than the Mamiya Pro TL. I'm not exactly sure why but my emotional connection with the Pentax is definitely stronger. But I don't mean to play down the Mamiya system either. It's a very fine system and I particularly enjoy the 35mm and the 80/1.9, along with the macro lens and macro attachment for 1:1 magnification.

Bronica systems are very nice as well, but the lenses, while stellar in many ways, are not particularly fast. But if you go all the way back to the older focal plain shutter models you will find that at least the standard lens is f/2.8 (such as the S, S2 and C models)

Finally, if light weight is your primary goal I would suggest a rangefinder. F/2.8 will elude you but the portability and ease of use of a rangefinder is hard to beat. I am thoroughly enjoying my recently acquired three medium format rangefinders: Fuji GS645, Fuji GF670 and Mamiya 6. Remember, fast glass is almost always BIG. Lightweight and f/2.8 is a pretty tough combination to find in medium format.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Bronica ETRSi has 50 and 75mm f/2.8 lenses. The 150mm is f/3.5. However the system has the benefit of leaf shutters, so flash syncs up to 1/500" and there is virtually no shutter induced vibration - this is mostly a consideration if (like me) you mostly shoot mirror up on a tripod, since handheld the mirror slap probably exceeds shutter vibration on either system. In general if you are looking for fast lenses the focal plane shuttered cameras like the M645 are a better option.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    I would go with the Mamiya 645 1000s with a waistlevel finder. This has the required PC and FP flash sync. A rugged and light weight combo. I shoot cars and bikes with the 45mm or 55mm wide angle lenses. Steven.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I second the Mamiya for being a light workhorse that mounts those beautiful Sekor lenses. Only one roll at a time is its only downfall, if you could call it a downfall. No interchangeable backs.

Keep it light.
    ChrisW
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Willrea just put up a classified you oughtta check out.

Keep it light.
    ChrisW
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Old Mamiya 645 with the 80mm f/1.9....amazing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin