Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 646

Shooter
    35mm

mamiya 645e focusing issues

Just looking for some advice. I bought a keh excellent quality mamiya 645e and have an 80 2.8 lens on it. I have the hardest time focusing this camera of any camera I've ever used.

The focusing screen is clean as is the view piece. It seems like the focusing screen is very subtle and hard to tell when you are spot on I have a lot of trouble with portraits without making people stand perfectly still for what seems like forever. I don't know if that is how it is supposed to be or just my copy. I actually have an old m645 which is a tank and overall more difficult to use but easier to focus even with a very dirty old focusing screen.

So is it me or is it the mamiya? I like the 645e because it's cheap and light and has auto exposure but it's not working out so well right now. Anyone have advice or solutions for making focus easier? Or should I try a pro or pro tl or a pentax? Or maybe just a different 645e?

Thanks so much

--Jeff

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I find it extremely easy and quick to focus. Are you adjusting the diopter precisely? Point it towards the sky and turn the eyepiece until the fine lines on the screen, ie circle is sharp.

Also, if you wear glasses, fold the eyecup back over itself.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Mamiya 645Pro with AE prism N. I, too, have difficulty focusing. The focusing screen is not as bright as 35mm gears that I am familier with.

I heard, E version is even darker as it uses mirror instead of prism. No personal experience though. My solution to this problem was to get a magnifying focusing aid. I don't think you can use it with E version.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Although the 645E has a mirror box, rather than a prism, it gives a bright view and not dark. I also have a 1000S with prism, and the 645E is brighter.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 06-25-2012 at 10:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any chance you have the switch on the lens set to M - for stop down metering?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin