Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,067   Online: 1218

Shooter
    Medium Format

Question on speed grip s for Bronica SQ-A

I recently got the Speed Grip S for my Bronica SQ-Ai. However I don't have a manual for it and I hope someone using it can help me out. I have attached it to my body and the winding crank works fine. But it seems that I need two strokes to get the body ready for a shot. The first crank lowers the rear baffle and the second one brings the mirror up to position. In other words it seems two strokes equal one full revolution of the manual crank on the side of the body. Is this correct? I was hoping that it was a single stroke gizmo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150058.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	52990

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Two strokes. Just think of it as a gift of added time for contemplation and study of the shot.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Two strokes. Just think of it as a gift of added time for contemplation and study of the shot.
    ok, thanks. it takes me a while anyways to line up everything using the WLF on SQ-Ai. The strokes will make me hurry up and wait.....

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kmallick View Post
    ok, thanks. it takes me a while anyways to line up everything using the WLF on SQ-Ai. The strokes will make me hurry up and wait.....
    Just a tip: I use the lock on the grip like a safety on a firearm. I find the release button easy to hit accidentally on mine since it has a bit of a hair trigger.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The speed grip that came with my Bronica SQ works the same way: two strokes. I don't mind it, really. But now the shutter release button doesn't work so I'm forced to remove the speed grip or use a cable release. Not a big deal, but mildly annoying. I may fix or replace it eventually.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the tip and assurances.

Quote Originally Posted by lancekingphoto View Post
    The speed grip that came with my Bronica SQ works the same way: two strokes. I don't mind it, really. But now the shutter release button doesn't work so I'm forced to remove the speed grip or use a cable release. Not a big deal, but mildly annoying. I may fix or replace it eventually.
    Thats a bummer. Have you thought about getting the shutter button fixed by someone like KOH's, assuming you still love and use the SQ a lot?

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a Speed Grip S and it makes my SQ-A *much* easier to use. However, the lock feature on the shutter release...doesn't. It "locks", but there's enough travel in the release mechanism before it hits the lock to release the shutter. This is a problem, because I tend to handle the camera by the Speed Grip in between shots, and I'd like to avoid taking any unintended shots while keeping the camera cocked.

So, as any good engineer would, I took it apart. The stepped panel under the hand grip removes easily with six screws, revealing the locking mechanism. It's a strip of metal which blocks the travel of a lever which actuates the lever that pushes against the shutter release button on the body. There's about 0.1" of slop between the locking bar and the activating lever. Others have mentioned that there's some kind of adjustment possible if the access panel which mates against the camera body is removed, but I couldn't figure it out. What I intend to do is to add a shim to the activation lever where it contacts the locking mechanism. This should decrease the slop and prevent the shutter from activating when the lock is engaged.

If anyone knows the correct way to fix this, please let me know. My modification is fully reversible, so if I find the right way to fix this problem, I can take it out...

Name:	LOCK.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	59446

And the shim is in...works perfectly!

Name:	SHIM.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	59447
    Last edited by Peter Simpson; 11-07-2012 at 04:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Simpson View Post
    I bought a Speed Grip S and it makes my SQ-A *much* easier to use. However, the lock feature on the shutter release...doesn't. It "locks", but there's enough travel in the release mechanism before it hits the lock to release the shutter. This is a problem, because I tend to handle the camera by the Speed Grip in between shots, and I'd like to avoid taking any unintended shots while keeping the camera cocked.
    I agree. The speed grip makes it so much more convenient. I will check, but I don't recall having the same issue with the lock on mine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks!
    By the way, mine is two strokes as well. It didn't take long to get used to it.
    (mine's a $40 KEH BGN, aside from the easily fixed lock issue, it works great, and *well* worth the cost!)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin