Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,699   Online: 837

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Yashicha Mat - flare? reflection? light leak?

Hi there,

I'm experiencing some annoying problem with my Yashica Mat. At random, strange light streaks appear on my negatives. It's always at the same position and the same shape, only intensity varies from non to really heavy. It happens in all lighting conditions and directions of light. Also it's always within a frame and never on the borders.

What I have tried so far:

- I am using an original lens hood.
    - I have flocked the entire interior of the film chamber with black matte material.
    - I have checked the lens and there is no trace of fungus or dirt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img733.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	53223

Name:	img746.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	372.1 KB 
ID:	53224

Name:	img747.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	338.9 KB 
ID:	53225

Name:	img748.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	338.4 KB 
ID:	53226

Can it be a light leak if it doesn't appear on the borders? Please help!

Many thanks,
    Marcin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The radiating pattern suggests to me it might be the shutter not closing fully or a pinhole sort of leak -- but that's pretty speculative on my part.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    The radiating pattern suggests to me it might be the shutter not closing fully or a pinhole sort of leak -- but that's pretty speculative on my part.
    I agree with Dave it looks like the shutter blades aren't shutting fully.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 07-02-2012 at 11:52 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: mesage truncated

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The shutter leaves hanging up is a possibility. Another might be a leak at the felt trap that surround the barrel you see at the back of the lens. There is a felt ring at the opening of the body to the film chamber. I had a terrible time tracking down a leak in a Rolleiflex that involved light coming through the focusing screen, going around the viewing lens (no light trap at that opening), then finding its way through the automat mechanism onto a silver roller in the film source chamber.... whew, what a tricky mess. Anyway, the focus hood IS a source of light that can get behind the lens panel. But it then needs a leak into the film chamber to do what you have.

You might try the old bellows check thing- in a dark room, put a flashlight inside the film chamber and check for light coming out. Maybe fire the shutter and see if you catch the blades lagging just a bit? Put the light in the focus hood and see if it finds it way into the film chamber?

Good luck- light leaks can be a real bear to track down. But oyturs looks very specific and repeatable, which is actually a good thing for diagnosing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Much appreciated guys!

Indeed there seem to be a trace of some kind of black dirt, oil perhaps on the the edges of the blades. I have called a guy who is fixing analogue cameras and I will have it serviced next week. I should have done that long time ago, but the problem wasn't so frequent.

I don't think it's a light leak but I will do the test Daniel suggested. I hope this can be fixed as I really like this camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Marcin,
    as already told, it is probably the shutter blades. May I just add, from my personal experience: keep an eye on film flatness-I had a major problem with it-the images weren't sharp because the film was out of focal plane. It were the springs of the film pressure plate being too weak.
    just my 2 cents

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    One other possibility to consider: If you "kink" (sharply bend) the film when loading it onto the reel for development, that can cause streaks as well. That's not too hard to do considering how thin 120 film is. I've done it myself from time to time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    reminds me of those photos you see with "ghosts" in them lol.. i happen to like them =)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi guys,

As advised by a camera repair guy in my city I did some testing (he thinks it's a light leak), holding the camera in the sun with lens covered and uncovered, but not taking any shots. It turned out the pattern is visible throughout the entire film so it's definitely a light leak and not a shutter problem. The fact that it's only within a frame suggests that it happens in the film chamber. I did some testing in the dark room with a flashlight and suprisingly I there are no leaks from the front or sides to the chamber.

The only possibility I can think of is that the light is coming from the back and somehow is reflected to the film plane in the chamber. Any idea how can I trace this down?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    put a little electric bulb or LED with thin wires into the camera, close the back in total darkness, accomodate your eyes to the darkness, put on the bulb and look. Perhaps you can locate the leak. Or you can put a stripe of black electric tape on the slit between camera body and back, than you expose the camera loaded with cheap film to the sun. Stepwise you can put the stripe on other places.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin