Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,883   Online: 957

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seagull TLR

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As others have said, the Rolleicord V would be a good choice and probably comparable to a Rolliflex in quality if you don't mind a slower lens. Also, excellent value for money.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    right now I don't really want to spend more than $200 on a TLR

You could get a nice Rolleicord V like the one I had for the money you are willing to spend. I got lucky when I bought mine. The seller here on APUG told me what didn't work and other than that, it was pristine ready for use. But they are all 50+ year old. You could get lucky and have no issues at all - or you could have problems: at which time, other than simple stuff like replacing light seals would be quite costly. If your budget is tight, you might end up in a tight spot.

If you buy from places like KEH, you get warranties so that may be a way to go.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own a Pearl River TLR. The camera lens is reasonably sharp. It has a very manual film advance knob and I have to use a red window to advance the film. Overall quality is quite crude, but it's a great camera if you want something barebones. One more thing, there's no parallax error correction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The interchangeable lens Mamiya TLRs, C220/C330 and older versions, are really good cameras but compared to most (maybe all) the others here they are BIG and heavy. May or may not matter, but you might want to see one in person and judge for yourself whether it would work for you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Austin View Post
    For almost nothing try a Czech Meopta Flexarete V - Very nice Beliar, Tessar type, lens and quadrant focussing - Film and shutter need to be wound separately, but this soon becomes natural

However, whatever cheapy you get will be a temporary measure 'till you get a Rollei

John
    I would also recommend a Meopta Flexaret. I have the Flexaret VI (Automat), which has an integrated film advance/shutter mechanism. It also has an accessory 35mm film adapter (which I have but frankly rarely use). It's one of my go-to walk-around cameras because it's relatively compact and extremely reliable.

I recommend the Slovakian eBay seller "cupog" - he does a CLA on the cameras before he sells them and has been doing this with Meopta (and other former Eastern Bloc) photo gear for years. (No relationship with the seller, just a satisfied customer.)

I see his Flexaret VI/VII/Standard models tend to go in the US$140-160 range.

There is one thing with Flexarets - on some models the factory used a plastic fresnel screen on top of the ground glass to improve viewing. Whatever plastic they used has a tendency to yellow over the years which actually inhibits viewing and sometimes permanently adheres to the ground glass. I got a replacement ground glass pretty inexpensively from Rick Oleson. He includes instructions for replacement, so other than a stuck screw it went quite smoothly
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yikes! I jumped back from the screen when this image came up. That is one ugly mother.

http://www.camerachina.com/productxx.asp?id=1564

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know about ugly, but it sure is WEIRD. Five lenses plus what appears to be a viewfinder lens? FIVE? WHY?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Haha, looks like it had come from outer space :-D

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem with Seagull TLR's was always the poor quality control. Sometimes you could be lucky and get a good one but many had problems. There are many threads on this forum full of woes about these cameras unfortunately. For years I used a Mamiya C220 (which I agree is heavy) and also a Rolleimagic II, which had the advantage of built-in metering.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin