Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,274   Online: 801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Curious problem with Zeiss Super Ikonta IV

I recent went on a trip shooting with my Super Ikonta IV. I shot two types of film. The first type is Arista EDU Ultra 120 and Fuji Acros. The issue is spacing of the frames. On the Arista EDU film has evenly spaced frames with the thicker base. However, with Fuji Acros, there's no space between the frames and at times, a slight overlap. The base is thinner with Fuji Acros. Is the thickness of the film causing the problem?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes , its about film thickness.

Here is a thread for Zeiss Ikonta Film Overlapping Issue :

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum65/9...-solution.html

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Umut.

Thanks for the link!

Best,
    Don

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don,It's about film thickness, also about the thickness of the backing paper, modern films use a thinner backing paper than 30 or 40 years ago, and when these cameras were built they the winding was designed for the thicker backing paper, with the arista, which I believe is foma by another name, they still use this thicker backing paper, I have a balda super baldessa, with hp5 or tri x the frames are very close, with fomapan they are fine, I get the same thing with my Rolleicard, although not so bad, but with newer film with thin backing paper then the frames are closer together than with fomapan. I don't have a super Ikonta in my collection, but the MF Folders I do have from the 40's and 50's with auto winding also allow me to use the red window and that sorts the problem out, if you can use red window on your Ikonta I would use that, a bit more fiddly but more reliable with modern film in old cameras.
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Richard.

Thanks for the tip. My Super Ikonta does have a red window. I've used a Chinese made Pearl River with a red window and it works well. I would however have to figure out how to stop the indexing feature of the camera.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Don ,

I did not have your camera yet but manual few milimeters of sliding the film with thinking its ever needed would save you from future trouble. Can you post few images from the camera ? What lens its fitted with ? I would expect very low contrast , old fashion newspaper like prints from these cameras in bw.
    But velvia would be wonderful with low contrast lens. I found that there is a eye catching aberrattions at these cameras , something like looking to a newspaper with magnifier. I found that look at the voigtlander lenses also.

Take care ,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure Umut. I shot only BW film with the camera and the contrast is not bad. I'll send you the images later.
    Best,
    Don

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don, I don't know the super Ikonta, as yet I don't have one in my collection, but the Balda super baldax I have you wind the film to 1 in the red window then the winding should take over, but as I said, with modern films it does not work, and the way over this is to use the winder back and forth, within the limits of the winding, like you would with an old clockwork watch, from number to number, maybe the Ikonta has a similer type of winding,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of the medium format folders with film counters, do it by counting the turns of the take up spool. If you use modern thin base film that does not work well. Foma (and the same stuff relabeled as Arista.EDU Ultra), is thick enough to work in those cameras with proper film spacing.

I have a Hapo 66e (rebranded Baldix RF), and and Iskra with film counters (Also a Kodak Monitor, but it needs a new bellows). The Hapo counts the turns and will only work with the Arista, the Iskra counts frames by picking the backing paper with a spiked wheel and will accurately count frames with everything I have tried. I like the Arista, it is cheap, and works well in all my 120 cameras. I mostly use the 100, occasionally the 400. I wish they had a 25 version as it would give me the shallow DOF in bright sun I can not get with the slower shutter top speeds on some of my cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
    Don,It's about film thickness, also about the thickness of the backing paper, modern films use a thinner backing paper than 30 or 40 years ago, and when these cameras were built they the winding was designed for the thicker backing paper, with the arista, which I believe is foma by another name, they still use this thicker backing paper, I have a balda super baldessa, with hp5 or tri x the frames are very close, with fomapan they are fine, I get the same thing with my Rolleicard, although not so bad, but with newer film with thin backing paper then the frames are closer together than with fomapan. I don't have a super Ikonta in my collection, but the MF Folders I do have from the 40's and 50's with auto winding also allow me to use the red window and that sorts the problem out, if you can use red window on your Ikonta I would use that, a bit more fiddly but more reliable with modern film in old cameras.
    Richard
    I don't have an Ikonta but I do have an Ikoflex (both Zeiss Ikon) and with that camera, if you use the red window, you only get eight exposures per roll. Once you have set the first frame with the red window, it is essential to use the internal frame counting to get the full twelve frames per roll.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin