Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,008   Online: 764

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    +1 Pentax 645.
    Also, there's the Fuji GA645zi, although it is more like a p&s on serious steroids. It does a good job, though.
    Yashica is good.
    Pentax 67 (6x7) is good, and was my first MF camera. I still have it and use it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you like square then how about a 6x6 Bronica S2A or EC. I have seen them go for around $300.00 with a very sharp 75mm Nikkor lens included. With your extra $100.00 you could pick up a Bronica 150mm which is an excellent portrait lens.

Early Bronica's use Nikkor, Bronica and Komura lenses. The Nikkors are sharp with excellent bokeh. The Bronica lenses are also nice. I don't think the Komuras are quite as sharp. Just about all the lenses are dirt cheap today. The cameras use helical focussing so they focus the lenses very close. The cameras have built in focal plane shutters so you don't have to worry about having to get leaf shutters CLA'd every few years.

If you get the S series make sure it's the later S2a. The early ones had soft brass gears that wore out. The EC has an electronically controlled shutter so it takes an easy to find battery. I would stay away from the ECTL with the built in meter because if the meter fails the camera is ruined.

Bronica is no longer made but Koh's camera is the expert in repairing them. They also do CLA's and sell used cameras and lenses. Of course early Bronicas come up on Ebay often.

Just another option for you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, if I could find a MF Camera that I could use my Nikkor lenses with I would be happy.
    Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
    My Website and Gallery is at www.bcarlsonmedia.com
    My Twitter is @brendancarlson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sorry Brendan, but the 35mm Nikkors will not work.

From my understanding all the original lenses for Bronica were Nikkors. Nikon's 35mm cameras started getting really popular so they decided to concentrate on the 35mm lenses for their cameras and quit making medium format lenses.

Bronica was forced to make their own lenses which were quite good. Komura also made lenses for the early Bronica cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rolleiflex will be a good choice. Maimya RB 67 will be a good choice if you had big hands!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a Pentax 645N last year and still love it. With a SMC 75 mm FA lens, it is about the same size as a Nikon F5 and pro lens. I also have several lenses, but I use the 75 mm and the 45-80 zoom the most. The advantage of the "N" version of the 645 is that it can use both manual focus and autofocus lenses. The functions are easily controlled by dials rather than hidden in push button menus like in the original 645.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you are tight in money , find a Kiev 60 from bay for 100 dollars with lens and CLA it for 125 dollars and you have a great camera for 225 dollars.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "The Best Beginner MF Camera?"

The best one that you can afford.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Go all the way up to 6x7. Forget this, What's the best medium format camera for beginner bull. And stay clear of Kiev 60. It won't work properly and may dissuade you from taking up medium format. That happened to me.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanCarlson View Post
    Hello fellow APUG'ers,
    I am looking into getting a MF Camera, I have a budget of $400 for a body, preferably with a lens, which MF Camera would you suggest to get started that would fall in this price range?
    I myself have the Pentax 645N.....fantastic system. I shoot with the 45-85 FA lens, but that will put the system out of your budget.

I suggest the Mamiya M645 1000S....I have researched that pretty well and for the cost, you just cannot beat that system. Make sure you get the PDS prism.

Avi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin