Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,077   Posts: 1,612,187   Online: 847

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Shooter
    35mm
    I've always processed my own B&W but have the colour stuff done by the local Boots. I may well try processing my own colour if only because it would let me shoot colour 120 film - getting that processed here involves posting it off and paying a not-inconsiderable sum for a professional service.

With most automated labs the negatives are processed without the operator having any input - the machinery deals with it, so providing that they put the right chemicals in the right holes and keep it clean you'll be fine. I have had problems with my prints being meddled with though - like the one intended to be of a statue silhouetted against the sun (which formed a halo around the head) which got turned into a statue with blown-out sky behind. Inspection of the negative showed that my technique was fine, but the lab had fiddled about.

As for disposing of negatives, what a bunch of idiots. Evidently they don't understand that negatives aren't like the husk of a coconut, they're an important part of film photography and can be kept for decades as an archive. Want more prints/bigger prints? Just get the folder out and find the frames.
    Matt

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    As for disposing of negatives, what a bunch of idiots. Evidently they don't understand that negatives aren't like the husk of a coconut, they're an important part of film photography and can be kept for decades as an archive. Want more prints/bigger prints? Just get the folder out and find the frames.
    I do not share this view. I assume it is not a matter of ignorance but of knowledge about logistics and the wish of the typical client. A client who is pleased with a CD, and would lose or scratch the negatives in some shoeboxes anyhow.

Shooter
    127 Format
    One shoebox can hold a lifetime's negatives for an average person. Doesn't take much space in the closet. Even my grandmother, long since gone, knew the negatives were important. One of my cousins recently found some very old family negatives in our recently departed Uncle's closet.

Thank God we didn't have Walmart messing things up 75 years ago.
    - Bill Lynch

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is it Walmart to blame who doe not longer offer a certain service/refuse a necessity (depending on viewpoint)?

Or are to blame the customers who are not bothered with those negatives and neither look for another lab or protest at Walmart?

Specially in the US where the concept of self-responsibility seems so well-founded, I would expect the customers to care for their photographic memories.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: Wal-Mart and no negatives.

AgX is exactly correct.

Wal-Mart is simply modifying the service to meet customer demand of lower price vs lack of product.

The customers make Wal-Mart what it is; Wal-Mart is malleable beyond belief.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin