Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,752   Online: 913

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There may not be big money in the silver, but there will be money in complying with safe effluent disposal of the bleach and fix.

Negatives handling is an incremental cost. Wallyworld has made thier mark by minimusing incremental costs. Plus a CD scan being returned lets you put your artwork on it saying oder your reprints at Walmart!
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My local WalMart got rid of the big fuji film processing machine about a year or two ago. Also noticed that the old Kodak setup for digital camera folks got changed to HP equipment. Our Walgreens still has a processing machine and I think our CVS does too. I have noticed that at the Walgreens the traffic is much, much less at the photo area than it used to be.

If one hasn't started developing at home, it may be time to start it. I promise if I can do (and yes they turned out good (three times so far)), then just about anyone can. I used the powder C-41 kit. If not, I think we should make a list of the "approved" APUG labs out there that realize who we are and are willing, perhaps, to give us just the slightest bit of cost break or perhaps scanning or something else at a reduced price if we send them say 5 rolls minimum.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kiku View Post
    Do not shop at walmart; never have, never will. They are anti labor and treat their employees less equitable than other big box stores. Howard
    Haven't been in a wally world for at least twenty=five years. Besides the reasons kiku mentions, it's about the worst thing to happen to small business that I can think of.
    Remember going to different stores because they handled different products? Now everything's pretty much the same from one big box to another.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Trexell View Post
    Nor do I care to be playing around with 11 different chemicals, all at the right temperature just to develop a roll of slides.
    4 chemicals. and you can get the temperature using a plastic dishtub and running sink water.

It's people talking like that that scared me away from doing my own color for the longest time.

E6 is easy, and the temperature precision has more room for flexibility than people will admit.

My dishtub still does better work than my "Pro Lab" ever did.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    I've always processed my own B&W but have the colour stuff done by the local Boots. I may well try processing my own colour if only because it would let me shoot colour 120 film - getting that processed here involves posting it off and paying a not-inconsiderable sum for a professional service.

With most automated labs the negatives are processed without the operator having any input - the machinery deals with it, so providing that they put the right chemicals in the right holes and keep it clean you'll be fine. I have had problems with my prints being meddled with though - like the one intended to be of a statue silhouetted against the sun (which formed a halo around the head) which got turned into a statue with blown-out sky behind. Inspection of the negative showed that my technique was fine, but the lab had fiddled about.

As for disposing of negatives, what a bunch of idiots. Evidently they don't understand that negatives aren't like the husk of a coconut, they're an important part of film photography and can be kept for decades as an archive. Want more prints/bigger prints? Just get the folder out and find the frames.
    Matt

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    As for disposing of negatives, what a bunch of idiots. Evidently they don't understand that negatives aren't like the husk of a coconut, they're an important part of film photography and can be kept for decades as an archive. Want more prints/bigger prints? Just get the folder out and find the frames.
    I do not share this view. I assume it is not a matter of ignorance but of knowledge about logistics and the wish of the typical client. A client who is pleased with a CD, and would lose or scratch the negatives in some shoeboxes anyhow.

Shooter
    127 Format
    One shoebox can hold a lifetime's negatives for an average person. Doesn't take much space in the closet. Even my grandmother, long since gone, knew the negatives were important. One of my cousins recently found some very old family negatives in our recently departed Uncle's closet.

Thank God we didn't have Walmart messing things up 75 years ago.
    - Bill Lynch

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is it Walmart to blame who doe not longer offer a certain service/refuse a necessity (depending on viewpoint)?

Or are to blame the customers who are not bothered with those negatives and neither look for another lab or protest at Walmart?

Specially in the US where the concept of self-responsibility seems so well-founded, I would expect the customers to care for their photographic memories.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: Wal-Mart and no negatives.

AgX is exactly correct.

Wal-Mart is simply modifying the service to meet customer demand of lower price vs lack of product.

The customers make Wal-Mart what it is; Wal-Mart is malleable beyond belief.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin