Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,038   Online: 781

Thread: Pentacon Six

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentacon Six

Your experience with this camera, I aware after reading some web pages that older versions have some reliability problem...
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    i have a p6 with the 80mm lens. it is a very good camera capable of producing great photographs. i have only run into problems once when i didnt load the film properly (tautly enough) which resulted in some pretty horrendous frame overlap. have a look at http://www.pentaconsix.com/ - the website has lots of good info on the p6, especially film loading.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just got one with the 80mm, 120mm and 50mm lenses and haven't done much with it yet. Interesting beast, with a darkish viewfinder and the shutter is reasonably quiet for a camera of this sort. Like all Pentacon products I would imagine the reliability could be suspect, so I won't flog it too hard!
    The first roll through would indicate that the lenses are all pretty damn good optically, although there is some looseness in the aperture rings (the 120mm is quite bad but useable). Mine is the P6 TTL BTW.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The bad reputation of P6es comes form ebay - here problematic exemplars are concentrated. If you buy a well working one you should not have any problems, over many years. I photograph with my six more than ten years an did not have any problems. The only thing you should consider: If you advance film press the release button during the first half turn of the lever. This avoids overlapping.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I would second the advice of going to:

http://www.pentaconsix.com/

If you follow what he advises you will have problem free use.

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

Shooter
    Medium Format
    TRA is very friendly and knowledgeable about the P6 system, a great resource indeed.

I am a big fan of this system:

If you buy from a reputable seller, camera should not give you any trouble, as long as you follow the instructions carefully. Making sure film is wound tightly, and not letting the advance lever return with full force are the two main considerations when using the camera.

Final units can be identified by the plain release button (all others have engraved circles) and all-metal tripod mount (others have leatherette coverings), so that should ensure you get one of the last cameras. Depending on the sources, there were around 207k or 205k cameras made.

Lenses are all excellent, my favorites are 50 and 180 but all of them are great glasses. The system has plenty of accessories, fresnel screens can be had for about 20 USD, and there are still repairmans out there willing to have a look at our cameras.

Incidentally, I am selling one of the kits (a newer one, #202666) to raise funds for sending the Linhof to a CLA, if you are interested... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jnoir-p...7630032189026/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin