Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,443   Online: 1135

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I had an RZ and loved it. As a plus, you could throw it and hit someone in the head, and then pick it up and photograph their dead body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am using an RB ProSD and can highly recommend it. There are lots of nice former backup bodies in mint condition on the market, it doesn't need a battery, and the K/L Lenses are the same as the RZ lenses, except for the 110mm 2.8 and the 50mm I believe. In the long run, such a mechanical camera can always be repaired by a skilled technician, whereas a fried RZ will probably stay dead due to a lack of spare electronic parts.
    Of course the RZ is a tad lighter and you don't have to advance the film manually (which you won't have to do with the motorized back for the RB either), but the motion to do so becomes second nature, like shifting gears when you drive. If you go for the RB, take a ProSD and K/L lenses only (make sure the revolving adapter is ProSD too, so that you can use 6x8 format if needed), it will be up to 20 years younger than many of the regular RB bodies on the market. Same goes for the ProSD backs, they don't have foam light seals, so you will never have to worry about changing them. Both the RB and the RZ can be used digitally with a ZD back adapter+back, which have become quite affordable recently.

I actually bought the two lenses new on ebay via the link that was provided here, I am very happy with my purchase.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I personally love my RZ67. Such a great little camera, I was a little weary of the size/weight before I bought it but trust me it is NOT as bad as people say. I hand hold mine 99% of the time (well it's on a strap and slung over my shoulder) but you get the point. I have the 110 lens on it and I bet you will love it.

If I were you I would skip the prism finder and go with the waist-level finder. I've heard the prism finder adds a good amount of weight to the camera.

Finally, heres a thread I started before I bought my Mamiya I thought you might get some pointers from it too. I would stick to the RZ instead of the RB since you can use RB lenses on an RZ but cannot use RZ lenses on an RB.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/1...ica-sq-ai.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks again for all the insight, guys.

I think I'm leaning more towards the RZ right now. Although that's if my budget allows for it. I'm sure I'm going to be happy with which ever one I get.

Thanks for the link, tron_

J Brunner, so I can use it for home security too? Awesome!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've shot with an RZ for close to 30 years now and my only complaint is that it's too heavy. Love the format of the film. For the most part, the lenses I have are pretty sharp. You can also use RB lenses are you probably know. As for reliability, I have one film back that has a stripped gear that causes uneven frames.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by robbalbrecht View Post
    my main question is RB or RZ at this point.
    I use both. The RZ is a beautiful camera and fun to hold and use. However, two word of caution: circuit board, electronics.

+ Reasons for RZ: 50mm ULD lens, 110 f2.8 lens, and electronically shutter speeds in 1/2 increments. Also easier to find the highly rated 65mm lens for the RZ.

+ Reasons for RB: Mechanical reliability. 150 SF soft focus lens, 127mm portrait lens, availability of 6x7 + 6x8 motorized film backs. The 6x7 and 6x8 motorized back are of superior mechanical quality to what you will find in the RZ.

If you shoot large format and like the action of the mechanical Seiko shutter, maybe the RB's sensibilities will appeal to you more.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I've shot with an RZ for close to 30 years now
    Have you had any problems with camera malfunctioning due to electronics? Just wondering.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Andre mentions that there is a 150mm soft focus lens for the RB. Mamiya also made a 180mm soft focus lens for the RZ similar in design.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used the RZII with 50, 110 and 210APO for many years. I stopped using it professionally in about 2005 but I can't bear to part with it. I think it's a brilliant setup except for the weight but the waist level finder is great and is much lighter than the prism. I prefer to use the waist level finder as the 2 dimensional image aids composition even when reversed (IMHO).

The only problem I've had with the RZ is overlapping RFH's which I have never been able to have serviced properly by the local techs! The RZ is built to be used by pro's so is made to last.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Get the RZ, if only because it means you can use the 110/2.8 - the smallest, lightest, fastest lens in the system. Don't bother with prism initially unless you do a lot of headshots and don't want pictures of nostrils, otherwise use the waist-level finder. If you get a killer deal (i.e. free) on an RB lens, you can still use it on the RZ body.

As for batteries, quit whingeing. A 4SR44 lasts for many hundred rolls and you can shoot probably 50-100 rolls while the "replace battery" warning is showing; the cheapest 4LR44 is good for probably 200 rolls and you can keep a spare in the corner of your bag, it's the size of two peas. I would trust the reliability of a quartz electronic timer far beyond any clockwork shutter, especially when it comes to wear and timing accuracy. An electronic shutter will never drift or be inaccurate. Electronic metering can be flakier due to bad contacts in the backs and the prism, but you don't get that at all with RB.

The only good argument I can see for the RB is the 70mm back but I think you can get an adapter to permit its use on an RZ anyway. And 70mm film and development gear is hard to come by now.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin