Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,312   Online: 1091

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a travel mate that shot with a Mamiya 7. He uses a 43mm lens on that 6x7 camera. The lenses are sharp.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/mamiya/7.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd take a Zeiss Super Ikonta 532/16: compact yet robust, sharp and fast lens, awesome looks. And no fiddling with lens caps!

By the way, the shutter on the Fuji GW series isn't loud, it's a whispering leaf shutter. What makes the clunking noise is the roll counter on the bottom of the camera. If you want the camera to shut up, have it decoupled by a professional repairman (it's reversible if he knows what he's doing).
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd heard that said before.. but now I kind of like the noise - it's the polar opposite of the 'have I actually pressed the shutter?' lack-of-noise of the GF670, which I didn't like at all!

'ping'...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Even though they're a little heavier, a Rolleiflex 2.8. I found a 2.8 E which has a working (but inaccurate) meter for $500. Just had it cleaned and adjusted and I'll be taking it out and about with me as soon as it gets back from the shop. I'll still use a hand-held meter with it because I can't trust the built-in anywhere but broad daylight.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post
    2. Rolleiflex MX circa 1954 - great 6x6cm negatives, but often slow to focus in crappy light - nice quiet/covert shutter, can use as a periscope, gets lots of attention.
    May be you should invest in a new mirror and a bright ground glass. The finder of my Automat 3.5A (1954) is much brighter than that of my 3.5F with the original ground glass. I came across a 2.8F lately but still think about getting a Maxwell glass for it, as I still use it beside the other camera and it is such a joy to look through the finder of the 3.5A. Most of the mirrors on these older cameras are deteriorated on the edges. You can see that if you look through the finder lens.
    A Rolleiflex is *the* optimal traveling camera IMHO.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'm getting in on this late in the game, but I love my Fuji GS645 wide (60mm). I know all the bad things people seem to say about them, but the only one I really agree with is it does have a dim focusing patch. I have had mine for about a year and have already taken it on many trips, most of which involve stuffing it in a pack and I have not found durability, or lack there of, to be an issue. I also like getting 15 shots from a roll, plus I have had very good luck with the meter.

If there is ever an actual auction on ebay, instead of way to high buy-it-nows, they can be had for $300-350, which is a bit more than I paid, but knowing what I know now, I would happily pay $350 for a good working one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With travelling, everything is a compromise. You have to be practical and realise that carting a full kit of body/lenses etc. is not only going to make you like an overladen donkey, but is also going to quickly destroy your enthusiasm and make you a worse photographer. My answer after years of travelling around is to travel light with straightforward, reliable, all mechanical gear...i.e. my twin lens Rolleiflex.
    The 6x6 neg covering a wide area, helps to partly make up for lack of lens interchangeability. Once you start using it, there's a lot you can cover on that 75mm Tessar lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian David View Post
    A Blad with 80mm lens is an excellent travel camera. The lens is not fixed, but it is small and you can pretend it is fixed.
    Compact and lighter than most other MF candidates.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's interesting all this, because before this recent trip I would swear by my Rolleiflex - but the Fuji rangefinder is also light, mechanical and simple, and the proof of the pudding is that the number of negatives I actually want to print is significantly higher (and they are all in focus, and soooo sharp!) - clearly this beast suits me!! (I do agree that the Rolleiflex is 100x more charming though).

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the perfect travel camera is for sale right now in the classifieds
    in expensve 10 film holders, a 12 sheet bag mag, beautiful tessar lens,
    and compact camera. i travel with its big brother whenever i go on a trip
    and have taken it overseas a few times ...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...4-slr-kit.html

perfectly balanced, easy to repair + work on + get shutter timed .. and built like a tank.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin