Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,563   Online: 1290

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hassy lens education...

Can someone give me a basic education on Hassy lenses? Are the only lenses available the Carl Zeiss lenses? Are there, or we're there any third party makers?

Or what's the difference between Distagon, Planar, Sonnar, and Tessar?
    Last edited by ChristopherCoy; 07-25-2012 at 11:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think there were a couple of non-Zeiss lenses for the V-series (500C/M et al) cameras.

Schneider made their Variogon 140mm-280mm zoom lens for that camera.

And the Russian Kiev copy of the 500C had a line of lenses, although I don't know the specifics.

Kenko and Komura made lens accessories (converters and such). I don't know if they made complete lenses or not.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have seen Rodenstock Imagon lenses advertised on Ebay that fit the V series Hasselblad. Imagons are popular soft focus lenses often used on large format 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    distagon: 30,40,50 and 60mm, a retrofocus design wide angle
    planar: 80 and 100, normal designs
    sonnar: 150 up, long focus and tele design
    tele tessar:160 up, tele design
    makro planar and s-planar:120 and 135mm simetrical design (or almost) designed for close range photo
    biogon:38mm (and 60mm) true wide angle design, low distortion

tessar design (the classic) is only available for 1000 and 1600 focal plane cameras along with some kodak lenses
    variogon zoom was made by schneider
    rodenstock made 3 grandagons for the arcbody model
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Apart from the types (Planar, Distagon ect.) there are also different generations. C lenses were the first. Early ones were silvery, only the latest of these had the T* multicoating. Most had a simpler double layer coating. Silver T*s are rather rare. From the early 70s on, C lenses were black and came with T*. At the beginning of the 80s, the CF lenses were introduced to replace the C lenses. Around 2000, Zeiss introduced the CFi and CFe lenses to replace CF lenses.
    Apart from these, there were also the F-lenses for use with the focal-plane series only. F-lenses were introduced in the 70s, in the early 90s electronic contacts were added so they became FE lenses.
    Though the barrels changed, most lens designes stayed the same since their introduction. The 250/5,6 Sonnar is essentially still the same lens as it was in 1957. The F and FE lenses never changed in lens design, apart from some very minor modifications Zeiss did to the 110/2 in 1999. Neither did the 60/3,5, 100/3,5, 150/4 and 180/4. Concerning the 80/2,8, only very early ones were a little different. The 38/4,5 only changed when Hasselblad introduced the 905swc because of some changes in the glass formula Zeiss had to use.
    The only lenses that saw considerable development were the 50/4 and 40/4. Floating elements were added in the 80s to improve close up performance of these. The 40/4 saw two major redesigns, one in 1982, when it lost a lot of weight and size, and one in 2006, when performance was improved even further.
    Last edited by Slixtiesix; 07-27-2012 at 06:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So any lens that is a "C" lens will work on my 1977 500cm? CF, CFi, CFe?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sure will. Parts are not available for C lenses anymore (though some Like David odess reportedly can still fix them), so some prefer cf and later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by feilb View Post
    Parts are not available for C lenses anymore
    That's an oft-repeated statement that's not really true.

While it's true that parts for the Compur shutter are no longer available from the factory (long out of business), I
    have a decent stock of parts for them, and I'm sure David has far more than I do, along with many other people.

The Compur shutter is an extremely robust and reliable mechanism that seldom requires replacement parts.
    I would never avoid buying a C lens due to possible repair issues. They seldom arise.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    Apart from the types (Planar, Distagon ect.) there are also different generations. C lenses were the first. Early ones were silvery, only the latest of these had the T* multicoating. Most had a simpler double layer coating. Silver T*s are rather rare. From the early 70s on, C lenses were black and came with T*. At the beginning of the 80s, the CF lenses were introduced to replace the C lenses. Around 2000, Zeiss introduced the CFi and CFe lenses to replace CF lenses.
    Apart from these, there were also the F-lenses for use with the focal-plane series only. F-lenses were introduced in the 70s, in the early 90s electronic contacts were added so they became FE lenses.
    Though the barrels changed, most lens designes stayed the same since their introduction. The 250/5,6 Sonnar is essentially still the same lens as it was in 1957. The F and FE lenses never changed in lens design, apart from some very minor modifications Zeiss did to the 110/2 in 1999. Neither did the 60/3,5, 100/3,5, 150/4 and 180/4. Concerning the 80/2,8, only very early ones were a little different. The 38/4,5 only changed when Hasselblad introduced the 905swc because of some changes in the glass formula Zeiss had to use.
    The only lenses that saw considerable development were the 50/4 and 40/4. Floating elements were added in the 80s to improve close up performance of these. The 40/4 saw two major redesigns, one in 1982, when it lost a lot of weight and size, and one in 2006, when performance was improved even further.
    In addition: C lenses use B50 filters; CF and later lenses with a few exceptions take B60 filters. If one sticks to either C or CF lenses only then one set of filters will work for the lenses. If one has C and CF lenses then that photographer needs both B50 and B60 filters and/or a step up filter adapter from B50. Since the filters for Hasselblads are pricey I recommend that one buy CF or higher lenses. CF and higher lenses cost more than C lenses but there are more lenses to choose from.

C lenses are less ergonomic than CF lenses, therefore some do not like the handling of the C lenses.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    That's an oft-repeated statement that's not really true.

While it's true that parts for the Compur shutter are no longer available from the factory (long out of business), I
    have a decent stock of parts for them, and I'm sure David has far more than I do, along with many other people.

The Compur shutter is an extremely robust and reliable mechanism that seldom requires replacement parts.
    I would never avoid buying a C lens due to possible repair issues. They seldom arise.

- Leigh
    I was told that some parts of the actual Prontor shutter can be used to service the old Synchro-Compur, is that correct?
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin