Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,323   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found that out the hard way. All my shots done on Arista EDU 400 were fine. The shots done with Fuji Acros with the thin backing overlapped slightly. I originally tested Fuji Acros on my RZ and I liked the film. I should have tested the film on the Super Ikonta IV

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it thinner paper, or thinner film base?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How do you focus with out a RF? Is it like a slr where you can see if the area is in focus, or you just guess? Nice pictures, I think I am interested in trying them out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You set the focus by the distance scale on the lens. You have to be fairly accurate guessing distance or rely on DOF to get it right. I love using these old folders, I modify Kodak Tourists for 120 film.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Probably both

Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Is it thinner paper, or thinner film base?
    I think it's the both. Acros isn't so thin that it's a pain to load on the reel. However, it advances easier because of the film and the backing paper's thinness. Beautiful film processed in Xtol. I like Arista EDU in HC-110.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I picked up a Zeiss Ikonta folder the other day. The focus is set by distance and not through the lens, which is a bit different, but I was amazed at the "look" of the shot! Something "Old School".
    What else would I expect from a camera that is 60+ years old???
    Anyway I liked the look. It has a Prontor SV shutter and a Novar astigmatic 105mm f/4.5 lens.
    The sample photo was just one of the test shots in late afternoon sun but it holds up to a 100% crop!
    And I'm sure you know that the Novar is a three-element lens and thus "inferior."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Merritt View Post
    And I'm sure you know that the Novar is a three-element lens and thus "inferior."
    Rick, define "inferior"??? Is that based on charts and tables or on photographs?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    You set the focus by the distance scale on the lens. You have to be fairly accurate guessing distance or rely on DOF to get it right. I love using these old folders, I modify Kodak Tourists for 120 film.
    Guessing distances is not so hard. I judge how many times I could lie down in the space between me and the subject. Each lie-down is two meters (ok, 2 metres shy of 2 cms). If there are too many 'lie-downs' involved, use hyperfocal focussing. At f11, a pre-war Novar has a hyperfocal distance of eight metres - anything over four metres will be in focus.

I find the Novar lens to be pretty good, especially when stopped down to f8 or less, and well colour corrected.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000014.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	619.4 KB 
ID:	54495

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nick Merritt is joking. Novars do tend to vignette or get a bit soft when opened up (mine does, anyway), and so people claim they are inferior, but in most circumstances they are every bit as good as a Tessar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    Guessing distances is not so hard. I judge how many times I could lie down in the space between me and the subject. Each lie-down is two meters (ok, 2 metres shy of 2 cms). If there are too many 'lie-downs' involved, use hyperfocal focussing. At f11, a pre-war Novar has a hyperfocal distance of eight metres - anything over four metres will be in focus.

I find the Novar lens to be pretty good, especially when stopped down to f8 or less, and well colour corrected.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000014.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	619.4 KB 
ID:	54495
    Great system

The Novar on my 521/16 has a nice feature to assist the shooter. There is a little dot on the distance ring, just beyond 8 meters; another on the aperture, just short of f11. I shot a roll on the street using this setting and the whole thing came out real nice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin