Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,958   Online: 1111

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

New Zeiss Ikonta folder

I picked up a Zeiss Ikonta folder the other day. The focus is set by distance and not through the lens, which is a bit different, but I was amazed at the "look" of the shot! Something "Old School".
    What else would I expect from a camera that is 60+ years old???
    Anyway I liked the look. It has a Prontor SV shutter and a Novar astigmatic 105mm f/4.5 lens.
    The sample photo was just one of the test shots in late afternoon sun but it holds up to a 100% crop!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tri-X-320-48-bit-color012_garden-gate.jpg  
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. That is just beautiful. Isn't it cool to have a medium format camera that folds up and fits in your jacket pocket? I have a 6x6 Ikonta of about the same vintage and it really is an amazingly fun camera to shoot. I recently had it CLA'd. Before that the shutter speeds were merely suggestions, but now they are spot on. It's incredible to think that a mechanism that simple and that old can be so accurate with only a little care. Congratulations, you are going to love this camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Love my Super Ikonta IV

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ikonta.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	54465My girlfriend gave me her father's old Zeiss Super Ikonta IV. I took it to our South East Asia trip. The lens is sharp and the built-in selenium meter is very accurate. This shot was done on Fuji Acros processed in Xtol. I think my camera is a about 50 years old.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They are fun! I guess I was just surprised at the way the lens rendered the afternoon light.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stradibarrius - You're right. It looks like a still from a Jimmy Stewart movie.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I almost bought one and picked up a Mamiya 645 instead, good shots though. I might have to get one anyway
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    j-dogg, which one were you looking at? I salivate for one like Mainecoonmaniac has.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ikonta's are great cameras, I have an Ikonta B, pop up viewfinder, nova lens, and I love using it,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an Ikonta IV, as well. Excellent camera!

Here's a hint.

Film manufactured today has a thinner leader paper than film manufactured when the camera was new. Because of this, your images might overlap, frame to frame, on the film. This is because the diameter of the takeup roll is smaller due to the thinner leader paper.

In order to prevent this, take a piece of black gaffer's tape approx. 2 in. square and stick it to the back of the leader paper, just after you put the film in but before you wind the film to the start mark. This extra thickness adds just enough extra thickness to compensate.

Some guys wrap the tape around the takeup spool before they put the film on but I find easier to just keep several pre-cut squares of gaff tape stuck to the inside of my case and peel them off to use when I need them.

Other than that, it's fine camera.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like great pictures, love those old cameras!

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin