Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,736   Posts: 1,670,369   Online: 916

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Whatever. There's no denying the P67 is a plus-size camera that requires a big-a$$ tripod, head, and not a little planning before flipping that considerable mass into portrait/vertical orientation. The lack of mid-roll film change and the need for a hefty tripod kept me from buying one after baby-sitting one for a year. Optics are first-rate--no fight there. I just find my Mamiya RB 67 Pro S easier to handle in and out of studio settings: close-focus without tubes or extra lenses; swappable film backs; and the rotating feature let me use a tripod that's stable but light enough to make a truly portable 6x7 kit.

That's another odd thing about the 67: people mentioning you need a darned heavy tripod, an industrial strength head and a team of Sherpas to keel haul the caboodle from one place to another. Very Ken Rockwell-ish. I don't have a mega-a$$ tripod head for the 67; it's a bog standard Manfrotto 498RC2.

Ergonomics means many things to many people. I don't need a kumbuya-holding hands dissertation on the semantics of "ergonomics". For what it's worth, I did not choose the 67 on quality or otherwise of handling, but on the quality and availability of lenses, including two minty optics that were going with the body I was eyeing off.

What's this stuff about the 67/6x7 as a studio camera? Is somebody going to tell me an EOS 1N is a studio camera? Either camera can be anything at any time, including a great bushwalking companion (and by dint of the effort, a sure-fire conversation starter!). But I'm not taking the 67 bushwalking and will lose nothing because of that.

I'm reminded of my long-time conservation framer using his 6x7 in his full-tilt studio for 20+ years, only getting rid of it when his eyes (macular degeneration) did not allow him to focus accurately. His studio (closed in 1995, remodelled with no darkroom, as his gallery/reading/open space), in the country, was almost always portraiture, still life/found object studies (using B&W and producing very large prints in his darkroom for framing and sale) and the defining quality of his images was the early Takumar lenses: old 100, 200mm Takumars shot at mid-range Avs; none of the newer SMC Pentax 67 optics from 1989 onward (much of his imaging was on TMax and a very fine and precise Kodak BW emulsion that I forget the name of...TechPan??) One could walk into his studio (above his garage) and be chastised to "watch where you step": sync cords, batteries, three or four strobes, blinds, bulb releases, awnings, extension cords... created a virtual bird's nest, with the "bird" proper being the unmissable 6x7 (with waist-level finder), repleat with those ornate wooden handles, sitting diddly-squat on a massive wooden tripod (the tripod itself — like a surveyor's tripod — weighed about 15kg). It all got turfed out years ago when he walked away from it — sad, bitter and spent. In the small town of Maldon, central Victoria, the battered 6x7 and four lenses went for the princely sum of $800 (around 1996 I think).

AND, For all the bushwalks we did, I never once saw my friend carry his 6x7, only his much-loved Minolta SRT101 (black) — which he shot Trooping the Colour (on Kodachrome) in the 70s on his honeymoon. His wife still has that camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    AND, For all the bushwalks we did, I never once saw my friend carry his 6x7, only his much-loved Minolta SRT101 (black) — which he shot Trooping the Colour (on Kodachrome) in the 70s on his honeymoon. His wife still has that camera.
    I hiked and did bushwalking with P6X7 and now with P67II and Nikon DSLR. Tripod is manfrotto 021 + 486RC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin