Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,527   Online: 848

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Mamiya 645 210 f/4 is my favourite in 6x4.5. It doesn't crop particularly tightly (about 1/10 life-size or 406 mm by 547 mm), but the working distance is really comfortable.

Alternately, the Mamiya 645 110mm f/2.8 allows a slightly tighter crop and a shorter working distance.

The closest, non-macro Mamiya 645 short telephoto? - The relatively rare Soft Focus 145mm f/4 - 1/13 life-size and 326 mm by 440 mm.

On the 6 x7 side, I like my RB67 140mm macro, but it might be too sharp for some portraits.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    She loves this one but I think it makes her nose look bigger than it really is.
    She has a very nice nose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I reckon the ultimate roll film camera for portraits is either the Mamiya RZ67 or RB67. Both camera have a rotating back which can be turned to "portrait" orientation without turning the camera. The bellows focussing system means all lenses (ok, not the huge telephotos) focus close enough for a full face portrait. The on-film format is 6x7 which delivers visibly better quality than the 6x4.5 format

The Hasselblad always prompted a twing of resentment. I paid for a 6x6 camera, carried it, shot with it, but ended up with 6x4.5 pictures after cropping to portrait format. And the 150mm lens, one of the finest ever made, would not focus close enough for a face portrait without the nuisance of an extension tube. To finish the rant, in an ideal world Victor Hasselblad should have produced the Hasselblad RZ 67 or RB 67 instead of leaving it for Mamiya to get right!
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wharris View Post
    I would have to say HANDS DOWN a Mamiya 645 pro TL with the ever awesome 80mm 1.9 is breathless =) you can pick up a cheap set at KEH for almost nothing! =) dont be afraid to buy from their bargain bin thats where I got my set up =)

Attachment 54775Attachment 54776Attachment 54777Attachment 54778Attachment 54779Attachment 54780Attachment 54781
    Great series Wharris. Did you shoot portrait or cropped later? How is to shoot portrait?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wonderful forum Guys, happy to have found it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    She has a very nice nose.
    I agree!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I reckon the ultimate roll film camera for portraits is either the Mamiya RZ67 or RB67. Both camera have a rotating back which can be turned to "portrait" orientation without turning the camera. The bellows focussing system means all lenses (ok, not the huge telephotos) focus close enough for a full face portrait. The on-film format is 6x7 which delivers visibly better quality than the 6x4.5 format

The Hasselblad always prompted a twing of resentment. I paid for a 6x6 camera, carried it, shot with it, but ended up with 6x4.5 pictures after cropping to portrait format. And the 150mm lens, one of the finest ever made, would not focus close enough for a face portrait without the nuisance of an extension tube. To finish the rant, in an ideal world Victor Hasselblad should have produced the Hasselblad RZ 67 or RB 67 instead of leaving it for Mamiya to get right!
    I completely agree. It's hard to beat a Mamiya RZ or RB for portraiture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fastw View Post
    Great series Wharris. Did you shoot portrait or cropped later? How is to shoot portrait?
    None of my portraits are cropped, The only time I adjust them is for leveling purposes. The 80mm is a joy to shoot with, when focusing you need to use the outer ring on the focus screen instead of the split screen portion. When shooting with it wide open i just take my time, and after a while its easy and you start to trust yourself. now, when I focus I never second guess myself =)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the Mamiya RB67 Pro S with 127mm, or 50mm. The 50 has really good macro properties, all of it way more affordable than a blad, and (to me at least) the same or better qualities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does anyone know min focusing distances for medium format lenses, seems they're hard to find. Extension rings may also work, anyone used them for portraits?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin