Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,729   Online: 833

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fastw View Post
    Just realized how close you can shoot with a Mamiya C330. Anyone with any experience with those?
    yes, it's incredible. I've used them since more than 30 years and I don't remember a situation where I would have wanted a different camera. it's good for anything and it never failed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by xya View Post
    yes, it's incredible. I've used them since more than 30 years and I don't remember a situation where I would have wanted a different camera. it's good for anything and it never failed.
    Which lens would you get for portraits, 80mm, or longer?

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I mostly just used the 80mm. my portraits were mainly people I know, so close distance wasn't a problem. it's outstanding if you make people sit and then use the waist-level finder.

I had a 135mm which was fine for facial portraits from a bit more than 1 metre distance. but I used it rarely and sold it. I never had the 105mm. perhaps there are other people on forum who can tell you more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've use a C330 since the 1970s. I used to use it for weddings, portraits and general work.

In the last few years I've added other options (645, 6x7) and have simplified my kit somewhat, but I still like the C330.

They are a bit larger than most TLRs, but a two or three lens kit is definitely smaller and lighter than the equivalent kit in an SLR.

The 80mm lens is the most flexible for a one lens kit. I'm very happy with my two lens kit - 65mm and 135mm.

The 135mm is my portrait lens choice.

I have a prism finder and used it a lot when I shot weddings. It is quite heavy though. I prefer the waist level finder most times.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Close up portraits done with an 80mm lens will definitely look distorted. I would not use anything under 120mm. Preferably something in the 135-180mm range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just shot a roll with P67 and 135Macro.Very, well maybe not very but somewhat surprised at the quality and close-up ability. Looks like the combination to have for close up portraits. Focusing is a bit of a challenge though as the DOF is so shallow. Practice makes perfect.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    Close up portraits done with an 80mm lens will definitely look distorted. I would not use anything under 120mm. Preferably something in the 135-180mm range.
    Even a standing group with 80mm can be distorted. I did a wedding group of about 8 people standing in a line in a space confined enough that I could only just get them in the frame, using a Mamiya 7 with 80mm lens (6cm x 7cm neg). The people at the ends had a wide-angle distorted look, accentuated by their being rather tall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just printed a big size (A1) portrait. The face fills at least 75% of the frame. Sharpness pretty good but DOF too bloody shallow (f5.6). Will definitely need a faster film (400-800asa) and aperture of about f11 or even f16 to get most of the face in focus. DOF at F5.6 at 0.7m is only 2cm, at f11, 4cm. Bit of PITA. Good challenge though.

Thanks for all the advice Guys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, 150mm for a Hasselblad.

Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just got an "early" P67 with a 135Macro on ebay. Wish me luck.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin