Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,059   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya 7 portrait examples?

Hi,

I realize that the Mamiya 7 is primarily a landscape camera, but how does it do with portaits in a pinch? I know the lenses are slower than most, but does anyone have examples of portraits shot wide open with it? Mainly the 80mm lens, but open to others too.

Thanks,

Mark

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Here are a quick couple of uncorrected scans from prints. (I couldn't locate my better scans for some reason.) Both were shot with the 80mm wide open. I shot weddings for years with the Mamiya 7 system, and I love it for portraits, especially the 80mm. The 150mm can be tricky to focus precisely when handheld I found. It's great on a tripod, though.

Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few examples... mostly shot at F4 with the 80mm lens. The only real limitation is not being able to come in really close... in other words, you can't do a frame with just a face. With that said, there is a close up attachment you can get if you want to fill the frame with a face, but it's a bit unwieldy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curtainsweb.jpg   ModelPlaneweb.jpg   Dandelionweb.jpg  
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 08-05-2012 at 08:32 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: additional info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try this vid for mostly environmental portraits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0ezab8k2Ds

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Got two examples of portraits using a Mamiya 7II on my website.

This was shot with the 150mm: http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photog...traits.html#11

Can't remember if this was with the 80mm or 65mm:

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photog...rtraits.html#3

Granted you can't get super tight, but this system is great for environmental portraits.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    the mamiya 7 is a landscape camera? weird. lots of portraits on my site with the 80 f/4

a portrait on flickr too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perfect - thanks so much, everyone!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I was a wedding photographer in Maui from 2000-2003, I was using a Mamiya 7, with a handful of lenses. No problems with DoF for portraits, but shooting wide open isn't your only recourse. The distance of the subject to the background combined with a shallower DoF, should give you the look you're after.

Since 6x7 gives automatic 8x10s, that was the main reason I was shooting it, although I personally prefer Rollei 6x6.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're looking for a portrait camera in 6x7 that also excels at landscapes, you can have a look at the former king of that genre, before the Mamiya 7II took over, and that is the Pentax 67 system. The lenses focus close, they have a beautiful look to them (I am always in awe at the images I get with my 105/2.4 and 165/2.8), and the whole getup will cost you a good deal less than a Mamiya 7.

I don't know of any professional (well-known) portrait photographer using a Mamiya 7. Everyone I am aware of who uses 6x7 for portraiture, and either shot, or still shoots film is using an RZ or a Pentax 67 of some sort (Bruce Weber had/has more than 10 of them, my father had 3 or 4, and it was in the stables of many other fashion photographers' equipment, alongside the prettier Hasselblads and Rolleis)

Also, all that nonsense about shutter and mirror vibration with the P67 is bullshit, I've never seen it in my negatives or prints from the camera, and the only situation I can imagine it being an issue in would be if you were shooting on a tripod with a cable release at a shutter speed like a 1/4 or 1/15 of a second, without using mirror lockup. If you encounter issues outside of that, you probably need the camera serviced.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ps. also this is a good reason...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_m1jxeirHgi1rplo4bo1_400.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	55021
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin