Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,164   Online: 1078

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format

mamiya universal press lens repair manual

my 90mm (which is nearly the same as the 100mm) has some fungus inside. I would like to take out the rear lens element for cleaning. has anybody the "MAMIYA PRESS UNIVERSAL LENS REPAIR MANUAL" and could give me some advice how to disassemble the lens? the shutter is fine, so no need to touch this. thanks in advance. a link to a .pdf version of the manual would also be very much appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's like most other leaf shutter lenses, the decorate/retaining ring is removed just by unscrewing it.
    Once it's off, the lens/group should drop out.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    If it's like most other leaf shutter lenses, the decorate/retaining ring is removed just by unscrewing it. Once it's off, the lens/group should drop out.
    it should, it's loose, but it's retained by the lever for the x/m synchronization. the lever sticks out through a little slot in the barrel. there must be a trick.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by xya View Post
    it should, it's loose, but it's retained by the lever for the x/m synchronization. the lever sticks out through a little slot in the barrel. there must be a trick.
    Just disassembled a 90mm -
    Didn't seem at first that it would come out, but pull it out from the side opposite from the lever, and with a little extra pressure it came out.

My lens problem is the retraction mechanism is bent inside, and I can't seem to figure out how to take that assembly apart.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The X/M lever is part of the shutter. The decorator ring is the one on the front, inside the filter ring. remove it and the glass will come out.
    On the back the ring has no writing, it's black in color and just unscrews.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks a lot richard and john. I got it out, but it was more than a little bit of pressure. the lever was slightly bent then. I took the lever off and set the synchro to X before putting the assembly back. that was a lot easier. I can still attach the lever later if ever I wanted, but I just don't need M synchro.

in the end it wouldn't have been necessary to take the assembly out at all. as john said, you can easily unscrew the front and the back element. if you just remove the retaining ring, the back element can be unscrewed without taking the assembly out of the barrel.

I could remove the fungus from the back lens element. the glass surface has been attacked slightly, it'a a little bit dull, but as far as I can see (on a polaroid with a magnifying glass) there are no big effects to image quality. if ever I find a spare back element, I'll replace it, but it seems to be a usable lens again.

in any case: thanks a lot for your help.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin