Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,239   Online: 727

Thread: pan f

Shooter
    Multi Format

pan f

hi everybody

i just shot a roll of pan f, i know its a 50 speed, but i didn't change the speed it was set at 125 asa.

just wondering if anybody has pulled this before. is it scrap or can i save it . i'm still new to this so i don't

know anything about the push/pull thing.i'm using blazinal dev 6 min @20c . what do i do with this now

dev longer or shorter. any advice would be great.

thanks al.b

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You will need to push rather than pull the processing. An extra 25% of processing time compared with what you would normally use should be enough. So if the 6 minutes is for PAN F at ISO 50, 7.5 to 8 should be plenty.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Never actually tried pushing PANF, but I'll just throw in some food for thought. You might know this film is a bit critical with low densities (shadow detail) even at rated speed. Depending on the subjects you photographed and the metering, you might expect possibly heavy shadow blockage. You might maybe consider developing a bit longer, if highlight separation isn't a great concern for the subjects.
    Again, this isn't dictated by experience; i'm just doing some mental engineering, which might not make so much of a sense, in the end. But I hope it helped anyways ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pan F is a contrasty film and is best shot at an EI less than 50. I shoot it at EI 32 and develop it in D-23 1+1. That being said, an EI of 125 should be within the film's latitude so I would process it normally and not push it. Often people push film when they don't need to.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 08-06-2012 at 03:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Massive Developer Chart www.digitaltruth.com shows a few developers for Pan F for close to that speed., but not with Rodinal equivalents. You should probably consider a phenidone based developer (Xtol, TMax RS, Microphen, etc.) well diluted as these tend to maximize available speed from a given film.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    try rodinal 1:50 18 minutes. not too warm (18°c) move as usual for the first 5 minutes and then just tilt slightly every 2 minutes for the rest of the time. won't be ideal, but should be managable with the choice of paper. good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Pan F is a contrasty film and is best shot at an EI less than 50. I shoot it at EI 32 and develop it in D-23 1+1. That being said, an EI of 125 should be within the film's latitude so I would process it normally and not push it. Often people push film when they don't need to.
    Agree it's contrasty to start with and most push processing will make that worse. I shoot it at EI64 and develop in Diafine. Diafine will get you a bit more (effective) than box speed and control the contrast but it won't get you that much. The Diafine instructions say EI 80 and that works ok but I prefer 64. You'd be a full stop under that, though.

If these are important, you could shoot another roll at that speed of similar, test subjects. Cut the roll into shorter sections in the dark (it won't matter that you cut through a frame, since it's just testing) and develop test bits until you find the one that works best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done stand developing with this film and found I got good shadows at a higher EI than 50. I used Rodinal 1:100 at 30 minutes I think. Agitate at the start and inversions every 10 minutes.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi guys

thanks for the replies. I let it go for 7:00 min , it's a little on the lite side maybe 8:00 min next time.

Nothing important on the roll so i can let it go as a test. I know now that i can work with it if it happens again.

thanks all

al.b

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin