Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,794   Online: 1085
      
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41
  1. #21
    dpurdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portland OR USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    2,064
    Images
    38
    You certainly have a beautiful model to take pictures of. That is not exactly a sharp image though that is doubtless a scanner issue.
    You might consider the 55mm for wide. I like it a lot better than the 45 though it is a matter of taste and others will like the 45 better.
    The 55 is a great lens with no barrel distortion and very sharp. It is the main reason I have the P67.
    Dennis

  2. #22

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ash, Kent
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    133
    Images
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    You certainly have a beautiful model to take pictures of. That is not exactly a sharp image though that is doubtless a scanner issue.
    You might consider the 55mm for wide. I like it a lot better than the 45 though it is a matter of taste and others will like the 45 better.
    The 55 is a great lens with no barrel distortion and very sharp. It is the main reason I have the P67.
    Dennis
    Thanks Dennis, I think I just missed the focus on that one. I am planning a shoot with a model and some sky scrapers this weekend, thought a wide angle could work well for this. Need to sell my other camera first! I wonder whether the 55mm will distort the background enough to help the composition??? I mean creating exaggerated diverging lines. Glad you are enjoying the 67 too. What films do you use?
    Speed Graphic, Fuji GX680,Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

  3. #23
    Poisson Du Jour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Vic., Australia.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,692
    Images
    15
    I agree with dpurdy re lens selection. The 55mm f4 is a modern (and heavy) design lens far removed from the early Takumars in optical performance: it, and its bigger brethren, the 165mm f4 LS (portrait lens), is impressively sharp, right down to the smallest detail. Remember with the 67 sharpness can be sacrificed by vibration or movement: all of my shots use a tripod. The 55 can be shot at f4 for portraiture and down to f5.6 with still good delineation (actually, f11 is my working Av in rainforests, with a Schott/Kausmann polariser). If you're into portraiture, I don't really see the need for a 45mm and longer lenses will allow a greater working distance and very shallow throw of focus. There is a fairly wide variation in optical performance across the entire Takumar/SMC Pentax 67 lens range, varying from average/B- to A/A+ excellent. Examine used lenses carefully.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,379
    Images
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speeduk View Post
    First roll back today. Here is the best shot from the roll:

    Attachment 55605

    Neg scanned it a bit blue (maybe the lens) so had to add some yellow to balance it. I am very pleased and will be selling my Mamiya 645 pro tl. Maybe a 45mm in future!
    Any odd colour cast like you mention is almost certainly the result of how you scanned the film. there's no way a good Pentax lens is going to give a blue cast.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ash, Kent
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    133
    Images
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    Any odd colour cast like you mention is almost certainly the result of how you scanned the film. there's no way a good Pentax lens is going to give a blue cast.
    That makes sense. Colour film from my rolleicord was the same.
    Speed Graphic, Fuji GX680,Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,379
    Images
    84
    We don't talk much about scanning on this forum, there should be a lot of info on the fellow site DPUG. You can generally get pretty good colour from a scanner by setting the RGB channel points in the scan software and then do final adjusting in PS.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ash, Kent
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    133
    Images
    25
    Ok, just bought a 55mm F4 late model lens from KEH in EX condition -could be a gamble, but saved £100. will see if that was wise! Thanks for the advice guys!
    Speed Graphic, Fuji GX680,Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

  8. #28
    Poisson Du Jour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Vic., Australia.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,692
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speeduk View Post
    Ok, just bought a 55mm F4 late model lens from KEH in EX condition -could be a gamble, but saved £100. will see if that was wise! Thanks for the advice guys!

    "A gamble"!? The 55 f4 is one of the very best of the SMC Pentax lenses. No bull.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ash, Kent
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    133
    Images
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    "A gamble"!? The 55 f4 is one of the very best of the SMC Pentax lenses. No bull.
    No PDJ on the EX condition!
    Speed Graphic, Fuji GX680,Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

  10. #30
    RangerFinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ventura, Southern California
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    19
    I agree with the comments here on the 55, it's a great lens.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    I agree with dpurdy re lens selection. The 55mm f4 is a modern (and heavy) design lens far removed from the early Takumars in optical performance: it, and its bigger brethren, the 165mm f4 LS (portrait lens), is impressively sharp, right down to the smallest detail. Remember with the 67 sharpness can be sacrificed by vibration or movement: all of my shots use a tripod. The 55 can be shot at f4 for portraiture and down to f5.6 with still good delineation (actually, f11 is my working Av in rainforests, with a Schott/Kausmann polariser). If you're into portraiture, I don't really see the need for a 45mm and longer lenses will allow a greater working distance and very shallow throw of focus. There is a fairly wide variation in optical performance across the entire Takumar/SMC Pentax 67 lens range, varying from average/B- to A/A+ excellent. Examine used lenses carefully.
    The 165 is great for portraiture as mentioned but I've been using my 105 2.4 more and more for casual street style portraits with pleasing results and if you're careful with your DoF and your model's features a #1 tube is great as well. All three of these are with the 105 and the third one of Molly is with a #1 tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Richmond Hans Long Day 2.jpg   Richmond Shaine.jpg   NYC Brook Park Molly.jpg  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin