Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,085   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Anyone gone from a Pentax 67 to a 67II?

Hi all, I am looking to buy a Pentax 67 as I love the rendering and sharpness...(dreams)

Anyway, the is the 67II just as 67 with metering??? I have a Gossen Digisix. Has anyone experienced both and feel they can give me an opinion of the cost benefit?

I am planning on using it for portraits/fashion styles. I am budgeting around £400.00 for a 67 with prism and a lens, 67II seem to be £800+

Thanks

Paul
    Speed Graphic, Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No idea really, but I am continually scanning the interwebz for a good deal on a 67II, sadly they are few and far between for some reason.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have read claims that the mirror slap has better damping in the 67II. It has a little better grip.
    Problem I have with the Pentax 67 and portraits is the large percentage of closed eyes pictures.
    The mirror going up makes enough noise to make people blink just in time for the shutter to open.
    I solved the problem for myself by using a tripod and mirror lock up even with portraits.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speeduk View Post
    Hi all, I am looking to buy a Pentax 67 as I love the rendering and sharpness...
    Anyway, the is the 67II just as 67 with metering???
    The 67 has a light meter. At least mine does.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The 67II was a redesign, not just adding a meter. It incorporated additional mirror dampening, in addition to electronics to support the 67II AE prism. Other things were added, I believe. I think the 67II is a much better design, but that's my opinion. Often the older 67's and 6x7 had a handle grip (wooden) to help support them. The 67II has a bulging on the right side of the case which helps stabilize it. I don't find I need an additional grip with the 67II.

Charlie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys! Just bought me a 67 with the 90mm lens. Excited! Once it arrives I will be off to get a new tripod!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Anyone recommend a Tech for Pentax 67 CLA in the UK? I hope I wont need it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bypassed P67 and went straight to a P67-ii 10 years ago after reading a lot of info about p67. I have not regretted a bit for my decision. The most significant advantage of p67-ii is in its much brighter AE prism finder and its aperture priority auto exposure feature. These make the p67-ii as fast and easy as a 35mm SLR with auto exposure feature. The P67-ii's AE prism is the brightest of all MF SLRs I have seen. It makes me want to shoot only with 220 films. 120 films are simply too short for this camera. If there were 100 frame films for this camera I would use it no doubt.

As far as mirror slap it never caused any problems to me. Yes, each time you depress the shutter button you will feel the jolt of the camera body. But it is always after the frame was already exposed. It's kind of like shooting a rifle. After firing the trigger the barrel of the rifle gets a jolt but it does not affect the bullet reaching the target. I always handhold the camera but I never got any blurred pictures. I sometimes shoot at 1/30th of a second with no problems.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mtjade2007 View Post
    The most significant advantage of p67-ii is in its much brighter AE prism finder and its aperture priority auto exposure feature.
    +1

Also please handle the 90mm carefully it is crazy sharp it can cut your finger

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 67/6x7 has a rudimentary, but very capable TTL averaging meter. It meters to 1 second, after which you'll be relying on your razor sharp incident/multispot+AVG hand-held metering skills.

These cameras are getting on a bit now, particularly those that have seen a lot of active service. Problems noteworthy on used bodies include jamming mirror (not related to battery status), faulty shutter brake/damper, loss of timing accuracy (from having the shutter cocked for a prolonged period of time without shooting), worn/scratchy winding mechanism, skippy winding gears, damaged/inoperable shutter hang reset button (recessed on front left side), worn light seals and disintergrating TTL prism sealing foam.
    Still, scooting around with a keen nose can still get you a specimen that commands a stand-up-and-gasp response — as mine did. The 67II shares similarities (and SMC Pentax lenses) and somewhat modernised, improved handling over the clunky, tank-like but inimitably Pentax feel of the 67. Remember that all these cameras have 120 film, so the mirror box is correspondingly large, ditto the whack and clack, hence the mirror-lock up function (which I consider a very wise feature, though not all bodies have it) that provides a degree of insurance.

I really thought I had bought a fairly average kit until the first few rolls came back shot with 55 f4 and 165 f4: those trannies on the lightbox were anything but "average"! The 90mm 2.8 lens is a bright, squat little affair that can be welcome if you freestyle the big 67 sans-tripod, as it is a third of the size of many other lenses and a great deal lighter. There are times when I'd like a mid-range lens like that, but I'm not fanatical about carrying yet more weight around!! APUG member SMBooth sometimes bushwalks with a non-metered 6x7 and 90mm lens and the results are impressive. Get whatever you want and take it for a spin. All said and done I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just a little weary from hauling the big gun about...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin