Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,002   Online: 1013

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rusty, that depends entirely upon the environment. Sometimes I go months without ever needing of cleaning my "unprotected" lens. Ohter times, like in high dust or salt spray areas, I might need to clean the lens once every couple of hours. By clean, I often just blow it off with my mouth and only do more if I can't keep the saliva in my mouth. In terms of a real cleaning with a brush, solution, and lens paper... very rarely, maybe even extremely rarely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To clean my lens I go through a car wash!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyair View Post
    Those of you who don't use UV filter, Do you have to clean the front element? How often do you clean?
    Yes, this is quite important and I would say about every month or so. But this of course depends on how often you use the camera.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a B+W UV filter for my Mamiya 7 65mm F/4 lens and forget the front lens cap for faster action street photography.

Does anyone do that? Or is it bad idea?

Thanks,
    I use a lens cap while I am walking into town but it comes off and goes in my pocket as soon as I start shooting. You can't be taking the lens cap on and off between pictures, can you.

On the UV filter thing, I theoretically use them but in real life I just cannot afford one for each lens - it would eat into my film budget too much.

I only use protective filters when shooting at the beach, where salt spray settles on everything 24 hours a day. Otherwise, I always use a lens hood. Why put a $20 piece of glass in front of a $600 lens? It increases flare and unwanted reflections. I've never damaged a lens, even when using 35mm gear daily for newspaper work. When shooting, all my lenses get carried face-down in a padded bag with the lens hood on, no cap or filter, back cap on. I clean them when they need cleaning, which is not that often, unless I've been out in the aforementioned salt spray.

Does it make a noticeable difference? Test the lens with and without a filter, in flat light and in high-flare conditions. See which you prefer.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    This is a topic that is highly debated and split into two seriously passionate groups of people so it may be difficult to get unbaise opinions.

I didn't know that!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    How can I stand up for both Ann and BrianShaw without appearing to waffle?

For filters:
    I like to get lenses that had UV filters on them, even if the filter is wrecked... The glass underneath is pristine. And I like to clean lenses that had UV filters on them, because a puff of air is all it takes. And if the filter is dirty I can clean it with the edge of a t-shirt because it's just a filter.

For lens hoods:
    I don't know of any shots ruined by filters, but clearly some could have used a lens hood. Taking off a filter removes two reflective surfaces... But when a lens hood eliminates a reflection, it removes it from all the surfaces.

Against filters:
    Two reflective surfaces that can degrade image quality. Harder to close some camera cases. Harder to adjust aperture of some lenses. Potential for vignetting when combined with lens hood.

If in doubt, if you think it will ruin a picture, take the filter off! You're paying attention to what you are doing, unless there is a sandstorm or ocean mist, you will not ruin the lens. Then you can put it back on when you toss the camera in the back of the car - where the real danger lies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those of you who don't use UV filter, Do you have to clean the front element? How often do you clean?
    More lenses have been damaged by zealous cleaning than from any accident. Loose dust can be blow off using a baby ear syinge. The only time to clean a lens is when there is a greasy mark on it.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I clean the front and back very carefully before any important shoot. But I allow a little dust to accumulate on a trip where I know I might be less careful cleaning. When I am out, I will clean if a fingerprint appears - those degrade quality and can be harder to clean if you postpone it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I carry my lenses without front lens caps with a clear multi- coated protection filter on them and the hood fitted face down in my camera bag with just a back cap on them I never clean the front elements of the lenses they are clean already, I only clean the protection filters once in a while.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-11-2012 at 07:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin