Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,997   Online: 859

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Using filters as protection, you will never have to clean a lens with that fragile anti-flare coating on it. Combined with a lens shade the risk of flare is minimal imo. I often clean the filter surface with whatever comes to hand and throw the filter out when it starts to show signs of wear. Lenses still pristine after 30 years of service.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    How can I stand up for both Ann and BrianShaw without appearing to waffle?
    Well... here's how I do it:

(Ann) I totally agree with her when it comes to my large format lenses.

(Brian) I totally agree with him when it comes to my 35mm lenses.

(Ann and Brian) I totally agree with both of them when it comes to my medium format lenses because half have filters and half do not.

easy-peasy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For street photography you should have nothing on the lens, certainly not a lens cap, because it's all about spontaneity. A high quality UV filter will not impart any great degradation on your images: match the filter quality to the quality of the lens.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only ever use filters when they're needed. I use a yellow green filter for street work when I'm shooting black and white. But for colour I rarely ever use any. I might put an 81a on if it's a bit overcast or a uv one on if I know there's a lot of depth to the shots but they're hardly ever on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A green filter for street work? Interesting. Your subjects must get some rather extreme complexions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't use filters for protection unless there is an obvious hazard, and I would count crowds as a hazard, but street photography doesn't always involve crowds. I use a filter when I want to filter the light for photographic reasons.

I use a lens shade most of the time (the exceptions being lenses for which I don't have a practical shade option). A lens shade not only prevents extraneous light from falling on the elements, but also restricts the image circle of the lens to reduce veiling flare from internal reflections within the lens. Most flare is not caused by extraneous light but by the subject itself. It is always a good idea to use a proper shade, and it is worth considering whether the manufacturer's shade is really sufficient to maximally shade the lens. Shades can often be improved by adding black flocking paper to the inside of the shade.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I put a quality filter in front of every lens I own. I'm sure the image is degraded if I do an A/B comparison. But, most of my lenses (zooms mostly) have dozen or so element in it already. Just one more can't cause that much difference. Practically speaking, it's a non-issue. It's just a peace of mind thing. I can clean lenses correctly but if I'm in the field, I can quickly wipe it when necessary without a worry.

Typically, if I am out shooting, I don't put lens cap on every time, unless if I am putting my camera away or don't expect shoot for a while. Lens hood is always on.

Right or wrong, that's how I do it.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I carry my lenses without front lens caps with a clear multi- coated protection filter on them and the hood fitted face down in my camera bag with just a back cap on them I never clean the front elements of the lenses they are clean already, I only clean the protection filters once in a while.
    +1

After working most of my adult life in the camera trade, I've seen enough slightly damaged front elements to consider a filter a good idea.
    FWIW I'd be very surprised if anyone could tell an image that was degraded (sharpness only) from anything but flare. The difference will be microscopic unless your'e using AN glass
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    For me, lens caps are for storage only. Especially with a rangefinder camera! I shoot mostly black and white, and like to get the clouds and sky in my street photos, so I often have a yellow filter on for the effect. Otherwise it's just a lens hood. I've had a lens hood save a lens more than once and they do cut down on flare.
    “For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    A green filter for street work? Interesting. Your subjects must get some rather extreme complexions.
    Green filters on monochrome film darken skin tones to make people look more tanned and prevent the chalky white ones that yellow filters can produce , they also lighten foliage and darken blue skies .
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-12-2012 at 07:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin