Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,668   Posts: 1,481,744   Online: 861

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Does anyone not using front lens cap for quick street photography?

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a B+W UV filter for my Mamiya 7 65mm F/4 lens and forget the front lens cap for faster action street photography.

Does anyone do that? Or is it bad idea?

Thanks,

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am not a fan of using a UV filter or even the plain glass types on the lens. Others will disagree, but in over 64 years I have never damaged a lens.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I usually use a lens shade but no cap. The shade protects the lens against the occasional bump better than a filter would.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    I am not a fan of using a UV filter or even the plain glass types on the lens. Others will disagree, but in over 64 years I have never damaged a lens.

Can i ask you why you are not fan of them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyair View Post
    It is a religious thing. Some people are devout to one belief or another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like Ann, I have never wrecked a lens. Given a druther, I'd rather have a lens hood than a protective filter. The truth is that I have protective filters on all lenses in use since the early 1980's because that was the mantra back then and I've never bothered to remove them. All of my lenses have lens hoods though. I have seen big differences between hood and no-hood, but no differences between protective filter and no-protective filter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I also don't like using a UV filter. I understand the prime reason for protecting the lens, but if you are a mad purist like me , you don't want anything effecting the refractive index of your lens. However, a lens hood is a must.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use uV filters instead of lens caps for most of my lenses. If it's multicoated clean filter, it's good. I've destroyed one filter to save a $1200 lens once. I'm a believer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Those of you who don't use UV filter, Do you have to clean the front element? How often do you clean?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Degrades quality of the image, I do use a lens hood, all the time, inside, outside always.

This is a topic that is highly debated and split into two seriously passionate groups of people so it may be difficult to get unbaise opinions.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin