Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,553   Online: 797

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

"Maxwell Screen" vs "Brightscreen"

Hi

I finally have the money to buy either a "brightscreen" or "Maxwell screen" for my Hasselblad.

http://www.brightscreen.com/enter.html

http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index.html

However, I have read some many favorable reviews for both, that I cannot make up my mind which to buy.

I would love to hear everyone's opinion regarding which of these two screens provides the best "SNAP FOCUS".

What I mean, is that I want to choose the screen that allows your eye to snap the subject into focus the easiest/fastest.

If anyone has owned both of these screens, please tell me which one you think helped you focus the fastest and had htat "contrasty" snap factor.

By the way, I plan to shoot holding the camera at waist level and looking down at the focus-screen without the aid of the WLF "magnifier".

Thanks everyone in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can only "snap focus" a scene that's already in focus.

BTW, I've never heard that term in the 50+ years that I've used LF. Did you make it up?

I cannot compare the two since I only have the Maxwell. Very bright and very easy focus.

I normally don't even bother with a dark cloth, unless the sun is shining directly on the GG.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For a Hasselblad MF camera, I'd only change the screen if I was really dissatisfied with it. I have stock screens in all of my MF cameras, and the only screen that's not stock is my Graflex Super Graphic.

I have a Brightscreen in my Graflex. The camera came with a replacement GG, which threw off the focus. I didn't initially realize that, and I bought a Brightscreen as a replacement. It required a little shimming (1 35mm strip, 1 LF strip) and it's absolutely great.

I was out photographing with another LF photographer, and he said that he had never seen a GG as bright as mine. It's a really excellent GG and Fresnel combination.

But I'd only upgrade a MF GG if you're really unhappy with what you have, not as something to blow some bucks on it. I'd buy more film first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How does the Acute Matte screen compare?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to go by marketing hype here, since I've never used the non-Acute-Matte screens in many decades.

I do believe the Acute-Matte screens are brighter, but I can't tell you by how much. All of my Hasselblad bodies have them.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had an Acute Matte screen on my Hasselblad before I switched it for a Maxwell. There is no perceptible difference in brightness, that I could detect. They seemed about the same. I switched to the Maxwell to get the rangefinder split prism since my Acute Matte screen was a plain screen.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    I had an Acute Matte screen on my Hasselblad before I switched it for a Maxwell. There is no perceptible difference in brightness, that I could detect. They seemed about the same. I switched to the Maxwell to get the rangefinder split prism since my Acute Matte screen was a plain screen.
    That is exactly my experience... no difference between Acute Matte and the Maxwell, except for the focusing aid. They are both excellent.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kucho View Post
    Hi
    What I mean, is that I want to choose the screen that allows your eye to snap the subject into focus the easiest/fastest.
    Thanks everyone in advance.
    For "snap", you would want a microprism or split-image. At one time, Hasselblad came with the microprism as the standard screen (I have one).

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had a Maxwell screen installed in a Rolleiflex 3.5E during a general overhaul, in place of the original factory-installed screen. It was much brighter, all right, but I found it very difficult to focus. If I had to make the decision again, I would stick with the original, or look for alternatives to the Maxwell.

As always with subjective judgments, YMMV.

i just bought a new screen http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html for my rolleicord Vb and i love it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin