Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,304   Online: 1084

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The advantage of the leaf shutter to me is the flash sync - if I want fill-flash in daylight, it's hard to do it with a focal plane shutter, as most of them top out at 1/125th for flash sync. And most medium format focal plane shutters top out at 1/60th for flash sync.
    Yes, that is a distinct difference in the technologies.

However, it depends on the size of the leaf shutter.
    Top speed available on a Copal #3 is 1/125 of a second, so obviously it cannot sync flash any faster.

The Copal Square focal plane shutter, used in all of Nikon's second-tier vintage cameras (FA-FE-FG-FM types),
    will X-sync at 1/250 because of its titanium curtains, vertical travel and faster traverse speed.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 08-26-2012 at 12:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Leigh- I'm talking about in this case specifically the leaf shutters found in medium format cameras. There may be some very old and/or very primitive medium format cameras that do not have a 1/500th of a second for a top shutter speed, but most medium format cameras have that 1/500th for a maximum shutter speed if they use leaf shutters. The focal-plane shutters in most medium format cameras top out at 1/60th or 1/90th for flash sync, even though they may go to 1/1000th or even 1/2000th for maximum shutter speed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin