Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,410   Online: 951

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

RB67 Pro - cocking lever stuck - after just 9 shots after I got it :(

Hi people. I recently purchased a used RB67 Pro + Sekor 90mm 3.7 ( non C ) off ebay. It was in fair condition and everything seemed to work perfectly when I played around with it without any film in. I have loaded up a Portra film to use in my vacation in Greece ( mostly portraits with my wife ) - and everything seemed fine up to the point where I got towards the end of the film - and the cocking lever on the body got stuck.

This is my first medium format camera - but I did a lot of reading before starting to shoot it so I know I did nothing to get it stuck. I shot normally and after each shot I usually cocked the body + back so I new that for my next shot everything was set ( since this is a old Pro so it doesn't have the interlocks ). I shot 2 shots and after my 2nd one I wanted to cock the body as usual and I couldn't. Also the mirror stayed up and I couldn't get the lens off the body of course since it's not armed. I didn't bother with it until I got home.

I didn't know if it's a lens or body problem. But now I got the lens out ( using the paper clip method ). When cocking the lens manually off camera - everything seems fine, the speeds are accurate so the lens is fine. However, the body will continue to stay locked even without the lens - even if I strip everything off it ( back, RB adapter, finder, screen etc ) - so it's 100% a body problem. If I cock the body using 2 screwdrivers the mirror comes down, and everything behaves normally. If I cock both body this way and lens manually and then remount the lens - the camera will fire like it's suppose to but after the shutter release I am back to square one ( lever stuck, mirror up, lens stuck on body etc ) - and I need to take the lens out again as usual with the paper clip.

I have also tried a 180 lens on the body and it behaves identically.

Any advice on how to get the body unlocked ??
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First, start by taking off the back, revolving adapter and lens. \
    The body should cock and fire on it's own.
    The camera body and interlocks are usually pretty robust, but sometimes wear and tear takes it's toll.

Since that seems to not be the case, what is your level of mechanical skill? the interlock is fairly easy to access and adjust, but not if you've got 10 thumbs.

erie

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    First, start by taking off the back, revolving adapter and lens. \
    The body should cock and fire on it's own.
    The camera body and interlocks are usually pretty robust, but sometimes wear and tear takes it's toll.

Since that seems to not be the case, what is your level of mechanical skill? the interlock is fairly easy to access and adjust, but not if you've got 10 thumbs.

erie

Hi - I would consider my mechanical skills to be 8/10 ) I completely tore apart an iphone 3G and successfully put everything back again after repairing some parts. Also I almost completely dissasembled a Nikon 70-200 VR and put everything back together So I would definitely go for it. But I need a few pointers as to where the screws are so I don't tear up all the leather coverings like an idiot :P A repair manual would be absolutely great. I got 50 Euros back from the ebay seller I got it from so I could get another body - as the back + lens + finder + screen are all perfect - but it's a matter of principle here and I WANT to get the little piglet up and running again :P

So any pointers on how to get to the mechanical bits would be great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    shoot me your email in a PM.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Erie, did he fix it?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure yet, we'll see. I've rarely had to remove the side plates, typically the interlock at the bottom wears and needs readjusting, granted I haven't seen as many as you have, but when this symptom creeps up, it usually only takes me 5 or 10 mins to fix.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yup, start at the bottom first. I suspect the side opp the lever though, have seen lots of bent linkage problems with symptoms like this.

Although he says it started out of the blue on the last frame.

I once had an RB that mysteriously had a nut floating around in it that jammed up the works, maybe got in there from the mirror drive slot inside the camera when stored in his case without a lens or back?

Weird things happen.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Yup, start at the bottom first. I suspect the side opp the lever though, have seen lots of bent linkage problems with symptoms like this.

Although he says it started out of the blue on the last frame.

I once had an RB that mysteriously had a nut floating around in it that jammed up the works, maybe got in there from the mirror drive slot inside the camera when stored in his case without a lens or back?

Weird things happen.

Hi Paul - thanks for the support. I also got it from epatsellis - but I am not so sure where to start. Do I need to take off the lateral leatherette ornaments on both sides or simply start unscrewing the bottom scews? As I said the model is the old Pro ( not Pro-S or SD ) - so less interlocks to worry about. However - if I "arm" the body manually with 2 screwdrivers in the lens mount - everything is ok, mirror goes down - the camera fires - if I mount a lens when armed this way everything works as it should. So I reckon it's a problem that lies somewhere from the lever to the mechanism rather than the mechanism itself.

I don't have a lot of time on my hands these days but I will come back with details once I get on the little piglet

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well start by taking the bottom screws out n loooking inside there as you cock it. You might get lucky n solve your problem right there... although I think the non-lever side panel has to come off. That has another light sheild plate inside n a couple light seals that will need to be replaced as they hardly ever get done n will definately get ruined once you open it. So buy an assorted sheet seal kit now from Microtools. It has 5 self stick sheets of the various thickness foam you can cut with a razor knife. You'll have enough to do all the seals on your camera n several backs n the rest of your town's cameras for the wooping price of $25. Also get a nice set of Whia screw drivers so you will have no issues with junk drivers stripping the screws. A small set will cost you $15 or so. The #000 n #00 crosspoint are the most popular sizes we'll need. No special tools are needed to do the job.

Before you get started, you need a well lit clean area to work. I like to have a piece of excersise mat under the camera, screws don't bounce or roll off n you won't scratch the camera body. Get a weekly pill organiser to put your screws in as you take em out in the order of operation. You'll find some screws are longer or slightly different n have to be put back in the same place they came from. Take pictures as well so you have some reference to go back on.

Send me an e-mail, I can detail the steps to get the side panel off, it is a bit lenghty for a post but in reality doing it is very easy.

Your interlocks may not be your problem. It sounds like a bent linkage or a simple adjustment. The only way to find out is to take a look inside.

BTW where are you located?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Paul thanks for the info.

I decided to give it a go today, got the bottom part off - watched carefully what goes on in there - but that's mostly the system to lock the shutter button. So I went ahead with the non-lever side panel. Got most of the small screws off but I got stuck on the last one ( of course ) as my screwdriver which was indeed small to fit fine in the screw - was too thin to get a good grip to open up the last little screw - located behind the small leather band located in the lower side ( I think I managed to unscrew about 5 tiny screws or something ). However - I decided to close her up like she was, and to get another screwdriver set to try and get them open - probably on Monday. I kinda got the hang of what needs to be done to get that part off. There are lots of screws and probably I don't really need to take them ALL out
    Tell me this though, do I need to unscrew the knob that holds the strap too ? It has 2 small holes in it and I don't know how will I be able to rotate that counter-clockwise without scratching the body by accident or I don't need to work on that ?
    Also what should I watch for once I get the side off ? The schematics in the repair manual scare the sh1t outta me ( all the angles explications etc )

Btw I am in Romania so... far far away from NYC
    Last edited by C0rnholio; 08-24-2012 at 05:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin