Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,488   Online: 885

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    Many of us bargain hunters end up buying a lens like the 165mm f4LS and never get or see an instruction manual for the lens. We just end up shooting from the hip and never have a clue we might be doing something to damage our lens. Now that I have repaired the one I bought I do believe the damage may just have been caused by exactly this problem. John

We learn form mistakes!
    It's part of my inquisitive, investigative nature to learn how to properly work things. The 165mm f4 LS was an almost $600 mint investment for me — companion to a camera, back then, that I was unfamiliar with. I researched the 165's modus operandi extensively as it transited from Virginia /USA to Australia making note of the warnings about MLU and LS mode. So when it touched down I was clued up with the right and wrong ways to use it, thus easily avoiding a catrophic repair bill, either of the lens, the 67 body or both! Visit the Pentax forums (pentaxforums.com). I do have a link to the instruction manuals around here somewhere that links to a site download which provides rather grotty photocopies, but clear and pointed text as to operating essentials.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speeduk View Post
    I bought the lens with the idea of using off camera flash for portraits on a tripod. Will not being able to use MLU be the death of my portraits??

Cheers

Paul
    If you use electronic flash you will not need MLU. MLU is only for slow shutter speeds below 1/30th of a second. The flash itself is faster than 1/1000th of a second. Pentax says you should set the speed dial of the curtain shutter to 1/8th of a second when you use the leaf shutter. The film will only get the exposure during the 1/1000th of a second of the flash. So you won't need the MLU for portraiture shooting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtjade2007 View Post
    If you use electronic flash you will not need MLU. MLU is only for slow shutter speeds below 1/30th of a second. The flash itself is faster than 1/1000th of a second. Pentax says you should set the speed dial of the curtain shutter to 1/8th of a second when you use the leaf shutter. The film will only get the exposure during the 1/1000th of a second of the flash. So you won't need the MLU for portraiture shooting.
    Thanks Man, I feel at ease.

Just waiting for this beast to arrive from Japan...
    Speed Graphic, Fuji GX680,Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speeduk View Post
    Thanks Man, I feel at ease.

Just waiting for this beast to arrive from Japan...

Coming from Japan, hmm? Then it should be well looked after.

Checklist:

Put on lens
    Check battery
    Check metering prism (or plain prism) is firmly mounted. Also, observe mount/dismount order: change lenses freely, but if the prism is removed and before remounting, then remove the lens, remount prism, then remount lens. Got that?
    Set film type to what you intended to load: 120/220, adjusting plate on back and also fiddlygibbledook on right side of camera
    Put roll of film in and fire test frames (67 shutter will not fire without film loaded). Fire at all speeds and scare the living daylights of the whisper-quiet digimons. I love a good whack.
    Wind on in one continuous smooth stroke, not jerky or you will stress (at worse, break) the winder mechanism
    Unload the beast
    Run off to the lab (or darkroom or whatever else you have) and process the film
    Come back and tell us about it!
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just developed a roll of Ektar 100 120 roll yesterday. Man, it is the most beautiful neg I ever got. Shot by my P67-ii a year ago. I almost forgot about it. Finally dug it out and processed it on my Jobo. I love the 6x7 format.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin