Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,518   Online: 898

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Can I use the Pentax 67 165mm F4 LS with Mirror up?

Hi All,

I have read in the manual that you cannot use mirror up with this lens, however, I am sure I read somewhere that it can be done??

Thanks

Paul
    Speed Graphic, Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you are possibly thinking of the 165mm f4LS lenses problem with doing double exposures. The 90mm f2.8LS lens has a cable release socket that allows for recocking and doing a double exposure. The 165mm f4LS doesn't have the release socket and thus can't do double exposures. I've never known it to be a problem with the mirror-up mode, but I could be wrong. John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, a quick follow-up on this one. I'm at my cottage, but just happen to have brought my Pentax outfit along. I have both the 90mm f2.8LS and the 165mm f4LS and just tried out the 165mm and I can't flip the mirror up without it tripping the leaf shutter in the lens. I've only had the 165mm for a short time and it probably hasn't taken more than 10 shoots total and that was just to see how the image quality was. I'll play with it some more and see if I can find a "work-a-round". Oh, I was very satisfied with the image quality also. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mirror lock-up cannot be used with the 165mm f4 LS lens in leaf shutter mode. It is useable in non-LS mode as with any other lens.
    It is useable with the 90mm LS because of the different design. Multi-exposure with the 165 is also not possible, but it IS if the 67 body has been factory modified for multiple exposure (as it is independent of the LS lens). You can actually cause fairly serious damage to the 165 by using mirror lockup in LS mode; it's not specified for use on that particular lens.

The 165mm f4 LS has optical qualities the same as the 55mm f4 — two of the best of the SMC Pentax lenses. You do need to be careful with exposures though because the lens is dramatically susceptible to mirror-shutter whack.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Mirror lock-up cannot be used with the 165mm f4 LS lens in leaf shutter mode. It is useable in non-LS mode as with any other lens.
    It is useable with the 90mm LS because of the different design. Multi-exposure with the 165 is also not possible, but it IS if the 67 body has been factory modified for multiple exposure (as it is independent of the LS lens). You can actually cause fairly serious damage to the 165 by using mirror lockup in LS mode; it's not specified for use on that particular lens.

The 165mm f4 LS has optical qualities the same as the 55mm f4 — two of the best of the SMC Pentax lenses. You do need to be careful with exposures though because the lens is dramatically susceptible to mirror-shutter whack.
    After doing some experimentation I have come to your same conclusion about the 165mm f4 LS. Optically and functionally both! I have had the 45mm f4(along with five other lenes) lens for many years and loved it. A few months back I bought a "like new" 165mm f4 LS that didn't have the leaf shutter working right on. I didn't really need it but for the price of well under $100.00 I couldn't pass it up. It took a few hours of trial and error, but in the end I was able to repair the shutter and now it works perfect. Less than a week ago I stumbled onto a deal from KEH on the 55mm f4 ver.II. The glass was perfect, but the filter ring was damaged and you couldn't put a filter on it. At least that's what the ad said. Well, I was a sucker again, but for $98.00 including shipping I had to try it. KEH was excellent in the fact that I received the lens two days after the purchase and to my surprise the lens came with a "like new" 77mm Hoya UV filter screwed in. Puzzled I screwed the filter out and in with no problem and that brought a smile to my face. The next thing to do was test? I compared four lenses - 105mm f4, 45mm f4, 55mm f4 and the165mm f4LS. All I can say is there isn't a dog/Dingo in the bunch, but I'd say my 55mm f4 is just a tad sharper in the center than my 165mm is. I used Fuji Acros developed in Xtol replenished and wet printed at a 20"x24" print size. When I get back home I'm going to run the negs through my Nikon LS8000 scanner I should know more, but all I can say is Pentax glass is first class.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can actually cause fairly serious damage to the 165 by using mirror lockup in LS mode; it's not specified for use on that particular lens.
    Would you be able to explain the mechanics of that? I'm sure I did that at least once by accident when I got the 165 LS a few months ago and was fiddling around trying to figure it out. The lens was undamaged - did I just get lucky?

Thanks,
    Sterling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sbjornda View Post
    Would you be able to explain the mechanics of that? I'm sure I did that at least once by accident when I got the 165 LS a few months ago and was fiddling around trying to figure it out. The lens was undamaged - did I just get lucky?

Thanks,
    Sterling

Just lucky.
    The warning is printed in all extant documentation for the 165 f4 LS.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for you efforts John W for your hands on detective work and Poission Du Jour for your brains! I will ensure I dont do it! I bought the lens with the idea of using off camera flash for portraits on a tripod. Will not being able to use MLU be the death of my portraits??

Cheers

Paul
    Speed Graphic, Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speeduk View Post
    Thanks everyone for you efforts John W for your hands on detective work and Poission Du Jour for your brains! I will ensure I dont do it! I bought the lens with the idea of using off camera flash for portraits on a tripod. Will not being able to use MLU be the death of my portraits??

Cheers

Paul
    It's not the end of the world with no MLU for portraits. If using LS mode with flash you can sync at higher speeds than normal but will still need care in bracing the camera against mirror/shutter whack.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just lucky.
    The warning is printed in all extant documentation for the 165 f4 LS.
    Many of us bargain hunters end up buying a lens like the 165mm f4LS and never get or see an instruction manual for the lens. We just end up shooting from the hip and never have a clue we might be doing something to damage our lens. Now that I have repaired the one I bought I do believe the damage may just have been caused by exactly this problem. John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin