Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,707   Online: 922

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolleifles DRP?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rolleifles DRP?

Hey guys

Anyone familiar with the Rolleiflex DRP cameras? What format are they? Are they 120?

toddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Hey guys

Anyone familiar with the Rolleiflex DRP cameras? What format are they? Are they 120?

toddB
    DRP only stands for... "The models that has the letters DRP on the left and to the right DRGM on the front of the camera means that they were made before World War II, because DRP means 'Deutsches Reichs Patent' (German Reich Patent) and DRGM means 'Deutsches Reichs Gebrauchs Muster' (basically a copyright for the name). In post WW2 models you will find DBP and DBGM. They switched from Reich to Bund (German Federal Patent)." From Wikipedia.

Rolleiflex are all 120 except for "Baby Rolleiflex(s)"
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Medium Format

Great.

There is a beauty on eBay right now for reasonable price. I so want a Rolleiflex TLR, they are so expensive. Don't get me wrong, I love Mamyia C220, but the Rolleiflex camera look so awesome. Anyone on APUG want to let one go?

ToddB

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I bought one made in 1951 a couple of months ago for about $375. It's in good shape and came with a leather case, filters, and shade. You do want a shade. The f3.5 models are usually more reasonable than the f2.8. I use mine a lot since I bought it.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey Two,

Did you get it on eBay?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I believe that there are Rolleiflexes made after WWII with the DRP and DRGM marks. The official adoption of Bundes by Germany didn't happen until 1949. Lenses made after WWII have a colored mark to indicate 'coated.' A red T on Zeiss and a red triangle on Schneider? This might be a better indicator of date than the DRP/DBP mark on models that span the war (K3 Automat comes to mind).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In answer to the original question, they are all 120 in 6x6cm format. The Rolleiflexes always command a high price, especially the late model F's, with the 2.8 version going for the highest amount.
    All Rolleis are beautifully built, so buying an older model shouldn't be a problem if it has been looked after. Also, don't discount the Rolleicords as they are also fine picture takers, just have knob winds and the viewfinders are somewhat darker.
    The Rolleiflex T is usually a good buy also, but you will find prices on ebay usually very inflated, so keep an eye on the classifieds here as Apug people are more in touch with reality (mostly) and are more knowledgeable about condition etc.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Hey Two,

Did you get it on eBay?
    Yes. I was just patient. Patience is always rewarded on eBay. I went to a threshing bee and tractor show today and shot 5 rolls. I'm heading back tomorrow. I shot 6 rolls last weekend at another steam tractor show. The results are great. I love this camera!

Kent in SD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    I believe that there are Rolleiflexes made after WWII with the DRP and DRGM marks. The official adoption of Bundes by Germany didn't happen until 1949. Lenses made after WWII have a colored mark to indicate 'coated.' A red T on Zeiss and a red triangle on Schneider? This might be a better indicator of date than the DRP/DBP mark on models that span the war (K3 Automat comes to mind).

You are correct that the DBP didn't start to appear until several years after the war. My Rollei is dated to 1951 by the serial number, and it has DBP instead of DRP. I'm not sure about the marks on the lens. I can just tell by looking at the lens with a light shining on it. A coated lens has a blue sheen. I believe that all lenses after WW2 will be coated. Leica lenses started to be coated somewhere around 1943. Be careful with older coated lenses as they can be scratched or rubbed off if you get aggressive with them. I "poof" mine off with a Rocket Bulb, then VERY gently wipe with a premoistened Zeiss lens cloth I bought from Walmart for $2.97 per box.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    Rollei began to coat the lenses about 1949. They have a blueish shine. The 1951 model, which is known here in Europe as Rolleiflex A has both lenses coated. In this period you can find Carl Zeiss Jena Tessars (from the original factory in the Soviet occupied zone), Zeiss Opton Tessars made in West Germany in Oberkochen (there were problems with the brand name between east and west) and even some Schneider Xenars. Lateron the East German Zeiss factory stopped the delivery to Rollei and Zeiss West became the preferred supplier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin