Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,938   Posts: 1,585,644   Online: 809

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you've been reading Ken Rockwell :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post

I just sold my Nikon D3 Friday so I am now 100% analog. Just looking to downsize a little to something that would serve a dual purpose in the MF world since I've been shooting much, much, much more 4x5 recently.
    Congrats! I just traded in my Nikon digital gear for an RZ Pro II kit. I'm so happy to be 100% film now.

Will the RZ backs work on the Pro II? I might be interested in one if they do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mamiya 7 is great. If you can live without the close-up capability, and don't shoot long lenses, it's pretty hard to beat. I like the RZ better for portraits and long-shots but the M7 is much easier to handle and travel with. I'd say go for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Mine broke (dropped ) and I'm about to put in an insurance claim for it.
    Don't do that. Homeowners and renters insurance is to mitigated against potential catastrophic losses. Once you file a petty claim such as this you are contemplating, your rates may be permanently affected and also you're put on a list that all other insurers see - and they too will raise your rates - or if you have just a few of these petty cliams - often they will deny you coverage in future. Don't even CALL you insurance company asking them if they will cover this petty loss. They will put you on said list.

Go on Ebay and get you a new 65LA from Sanpou camera, and DO check the glass closely upon recent.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I certainly wouldn't sell both of my SLR systems before spending time with a new RF.
    Same here. All opinions about whether the Mamiya 7 or the other systems are "better" aside, this would be a question for me. Using a rangefinder is very different! NOT better or worse, just different; and not everyone takes to it.

I am in a similar situation to you. I have always coveted the Mamiya 7, and for very similar reasons. It would give me 6x7 for everything, and allow me to travel with that format. However, the economics have stopped me so far. Not only do I own and use the RB (not RZ) system and the 645, I also have a Mamiya C220 twin lens. I have 5 lenses each for the RB and the 645, and 6 lenses for the TLR! However, if I sold all of it, I could probably just buy a Mamiya 7 and one, or maybe two, lenses.

And, I also have a Fuji 645 "for travel" (sharpest lens I own), so I do know from RF vs. SLR; and I am shooting film less and less while traveling. So, my experience and advice may not be that helpful. Go back to what Matt King said!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Matt King is right , middle format cameras are very special when you see the composition from top. Its a magical experience and I dont change it to anything. When you jump to the rangefinder , you will lose all this magic and fun side.
    If 7 have a ultra sharp and contrasty lens and if you cant view it live , you will end up with whats this.

I miss my Kiev 88 and 80/250 lenses and I dont change it to any camera. Ahh young fool , where was the internet 25 years ago !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    Don't do that. Homeowners and renters insurance is to mitigated against potential catastrophic losses. Once you file a petty claim such as this you are contemplating, your rates may be permanently affected and also you're put on a list that all other insurers see - and they too will raise your rates - or if you have just a few of these petty cliams - often they will deny you coverage in future. Don't even CALL you insurance company asking them if they will cover this petty loss. They will put you on said list.

Go on Ebay and get you a new 65LA from Sanpou camera, and DO check the glass closely upon recent.
    This is something I've heard, however I live in Australia and not the USA. We have a much better regulatory framework here and our insurers don't get away with being nearly as petty and vindictive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I bought a Fujifilm GA645zi and found it to be excellent. I have an RB and two Mamiya 645's also. The Fujifilm is perfect for travel.
    +1, I bought a very nice overhauled Rollei 3.5E thinking it would replace the Fuji. The Fuji is just too good! Anyone looking for a recently overhauled Rollei (: If I had the cash, though, the Mamiya 7 is my dream camera.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    If so, then that begs the obvious question: Why bother with insurance at all?

If you are expected to pay the premiums on time, but cannot even think about ever filing a legally honest and defensible claim, then why waste your money? Why would someone pay an insurance company for the privilege of assuming their risk? If they balk at keeping their end of the deal for an honest small claim, they'll be even more likely to to do so for honest, but more expensive, claims.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    If so, then that begs the obvious question: Why bother with insurance at all?

Ken
    Insurance in the USA, especially in California is legalized racket. It's a game. Insurance company's are happy to pay out your petty claim because they have now marked you as an undesirable, high risk customer. And they will and DO cancel these type of people.

Insurance is to guard against high dollar - sleep in the park now that you've lost it all -losses such as a total loss of home during fire, multi million dollar judgement against, etc.

That's what insurance is for. It is not your moral hazard, petty loss piggy bank.

This from painful life experience, not high horse.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin