Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,882   Posts: 1,520,515   Online: 829

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Thinking of selling all my Mamiya cameras & lenses

For the past few days I've been thinking of selling all my Mamiya stuff, an RZ67 with a 65/110/180, 4 backs, Prism II and a 645 pro with a 65/80 and 2 backs and just getting a Mamiya 7II with a 80mm. I've looked at all of my past work and realized that all of my photography is done at the semi wide and normal ranges. I don't shoot closeups and rarely if ever changed film types mid-roll. The RZ is what I shoot most of my personal projects on and the 645 is my travel camera that I take everywhere. I feel that a 7II would be a lighter and smaller option that will give me the same if not better quality across the board from projects to travel. Plus its easier to lug around in a back pack.
    Thoughts anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This sounds like a very reasonable conclusion. If the way Mamiya 7 works & handles is fine for you - then go for it. Optically-wise there isn't anything better the the weight & size difference to RZ is big. I mean BIG.

Just go for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm looking for a RZ67 Pro II kit, because I like close up photography. If yours is a Pro II, and you decide to sell, PM me the specifics and your price.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's not a pro II its just the pro. I didn't need the micro focus thingy when I was shopping for my kit so I saved the $ and went with the Pro. And besides I can do the half stop and half shutter speeds with my prism anyway so it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went the opposite direction, but my needs seem to oppose yours. The 7II is similar in size to a large slr, with the lens sticking out pretty far. It wasn't small enough for me. The focusing was more difficult than other rangefinders, and I really wish it had better close focus. I also wasn't comfortable with how harsh the lenses could be, too sharp with certain subjects. Exposure compensation knob was a pain, lens caps annoying. I wasn't printing larger than 11x14, so resolution was more about bragging than usefulness.

I do miss the meter on the M7II though.

So I went with an rz and a mf folder for travel.

For a two lens setup, the Mamiya c330f has a similar package size and not too much heavier (1.5kg vs 1.9kg). You could pick this up and a folding rangefinder for travel and still have money left. Check out the Bessa II or the 1950s Ikontas.

Mamiya 6 folder up nicely and could be used for travel, though repairs are getting difficult.

If you recognize that it will still need a backpack for travel and don't mind how the lens draws, it is an amazing camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That would be short sighted. The RZ 65 and 110 and 180 are awesome lenses. Plus you'll only get pennies on the dollar for RZ kit in today's market.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I certainly wouldn't sell both of my SLR systems before spending time with a new RF.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If the 65 is an M-LA, contact me and I might be interested. Mine broke (dropped ) and I'm about to put in an insurance claim for it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    All good points. I did some traveling recently and I had some shots I took with my 645 that could have been amazing with my 67, at from the enlargement standpoint.

I just sold my Nikon D3 Friday so I am now 100% analog. Just looking to downsize a little to something that would serve a dual purpose in the MF world since I've been shooting much, much, much more 4x5 recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a Fujifilm GA645zi and found it to be excellent. I have an RB and two Mamiya 645's also. The Fujifilm is perfect for travel.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin