Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,120   Online: 843

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya RZ67 Electronic Cable Release

I've been researching this item and haven't found much on it. What benefit does the electronic cable release have over a mechanical one?
    Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, there is a place to plug them into on the cameras.

The electronic cable releases work on both the RZ67 Pro II and the 645 Pro or Super models. There is no direct connection for a mechanical cable release on the 645 Pro or Super models, so an auxiliary adapter needs to be used with those cameras in order to use a mechanical cable release. I think (but am not sure) that the situation is the same for the RZ67 Pro II.

I don't know what the situation is with the RZ67 Pro II D.

Long electronic releases work much better than long mechanical releases. And radio remotes are much easier to implement with electronic cameras.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a RZ67 Pro II on the way. I guess I should have specified the model. The mechanical cable release I was referring to is the one on the lens.

For mirror lockup, using a mechanical cable on the lens, these are the steps, according to the manual:

1. After screwing a cable release firmly into the Mirror Lock-up Socket of the lens, the socket will elevate slightly and the camera will be ready for mirror lock-up operation.

2. Press the Cocking Lever as far as it will go. Step 2 may either follow or precede step 1.

3. Depress the Shutter Release Button and the mirror will rise, but the shutter will remain closed.

4. Press the plunger of the cable release and the shutter will operate.

Is there any advantage to purchasing the more expensive electronic cable? Are the steps outlined for the mechanical cable on the lens, basically the same for the electronic cable attached to the body?
    Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    I've got a RZ67 Pro II on the way. I guess I should have specified the model. The mechanical cable release I was referring to is the one on the lens.

For mirror lockup, using a mechanical cable on the lens, these are the steps, according to the manual:

1. After screwing a cable release firmly into the Mirror Lock-up Socket of the lens, the socket will elevate slightly and the camera will be ready for mirror lock-up operation.

2. Press the Cocking Lever as far as it will go. Step 2 may either follow or precede step 1.

3. Depress the Shutter Release Button and the mirror will rise, but the shutter will remain closed.

4. Press the plunger of the cable release and the shutter will operate.

Is there any advantage to purchasing the more expensive electronic cable? Are the steps outlined for the mechanical cable on the lens, basically the same for the electronic cable attached to the body?
    Thanks,
    You can't see what you're shooting since the mirror is up with the mechanical release. With the electronic release, you can since the mirror is down till you press the button. It's useful for studio work, especially portraiture.

Believe there are two versions of these that differ in their connectors: a 4-pin for the manual 645 models and RZ and a round connector for the 645AF. Sellers often confuse them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is subject to correction but ....

The electronic cable release won't give you a photograph using mirror lock-up on it's own - you will need a mechanical shutter release connected to the lens.

The electronic cable release is intended to be used with the camera in standard operation.

And it won't work with the "T" function.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I posted a similar question a year ago and got a few responses which can be seen at:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/9...r-release.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    This is subject to correction but ....

The electronic cable release won't give you a photograph using mirror lock-up on it's own - you will need a mechanical shutter release connected to the lens.

The electronic cable release is intended to be used with the camera in standard operation.

And it won't work with the "T" function.
    I believe you are right except for half of the T bit. I believe that the electronic release can initiate a T exposure but (obviously) not end it because T involves a mechanical latch in the lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin