Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,922   Online: 1075

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Taming Flare in a Zeiss 80 f2.8 lens on a Hasselblad 500C/m

Ok short backstory, my brother left me some camera gear to baby sit and exercise while he's working in NYC until July next year. One of those systems is of course a Hasselblad 500 C/M with three lenses but I'm using a chrome Zeiss 80 f2.8 circa early 1960s with a lens hood ( I always shoot with the hood). I shot one roll of slide (E100) film and had no issues at all. Two rolls of Neopan Acros 100, different story, I got wicked flare in a few shots. Texting back and forth my brother, he says he never had a problem with this 'blad kit with that lens, so what am I doing wrong?
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Lens flare or magazine light leak? Magazines need new seals with time.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good question. Not all the frames have flare and it's quite random if there's light leak the whole roll would have been done in. I was shooting on a bright sunny day if that helps.

Secondly my brother shot with this kit on a fairly regular basis on weekends when he commuted up from NYC. If there was a light leak issue I would have been warned about it.
    Last edited by Uncle Bill; 09-01-2012 at 06:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I once had a Rolleiflex that I finally determined needed seals. Not all the frames were spoiled; only when light hit the camera a certain way did it invade the film chamber. Drove me up the wall...for a while!
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would second the magazine theory, my chrome 80mm is really quite good with flare for a non-mc lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have a photo you can post that would answer the question immediately. A leaky back is pretty obvious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan-120901-0001.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	492.4 KB 
ID:	56476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan-120901-0002.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	56477

Here two shots that were obviously pooched.

From the same roll, the black and white shots in my Flickr folder from Durham region (they are the square black and white ones). http://www.flickr.com/photos/funwith...7631257635722/
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    This is definitely not lens flair. Buy a used back from KEH and you will be back in business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by garysamson View Post
    This is definitely not lens flair. Buy a used back from KEH and you will be back in business.
    You can also just repair the light seals on your film backs, it is not difficult or expensive. Kits are available on the auction site or you can make your own using the foil from the old seal and fresh foam but new is much better.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you have no money , you can seal the light leak areas with black tape or flexible black bant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin